1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

St Augustine - Lucky Boys

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Jul 14, 2004.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I've noticed lately that when we mow St Augustine, there always seems to be a few grass blades that are still sticking up after we cut. I wasn't having this problem earlier in the season.

My employee tells me that the guy he worked for last summer always mows St Augustine lawns twice.

I went in to see the dealer today. He says they are called lucky boys. They somehow bend down and just don't get cut. He said that if I were using a 21" mower, they would be even worse because the blades on the 21" mowers aren't moving as fast as the blades on my Ferris 32. He said it's more of a problem this time of year too.

Do most LCO's cut St Augustine lawns twice???

What causes "Lucky Boys"??? Is it high moisture and lots of rain?

DFW Area Landscaper
  2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Only St. Augustine I cut was in my own yard. Never had that problem.
  3. jaguar4000

jaguar4000 LawnSite Member

lucky boys is new one on me. st augustine can get really thick this time of year w/ summer rains. When this happens a good sharp blade and a slightly slower speed can be the key. Even slower if grass is wet. Sharp blades can last a long time when mowing only st augustine. good luck.
  4. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

On my St Augustine lawns there are always a few stray blades that manage to escape execution. I always figured they were blades that were tucked under and didn't get sucked to attention to be cut. I don't worry about them and I certainly wouldn't cut the lawn twice. St Augustine grass stays healthier when there isn't anything on it, walking over it or anything tramping it down. I try to stay of St Augustine as much as possible.
  5. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Double cutting from now until then end of summer. St Augustine it very thick and high for us.
  6. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

I only cut it once unless clippings need to be spread out a little more. Cut grass at 4" and some at 4.5". This turf gives the best look and is easier to cut. Once thatch builds up you will get some "runners" that will come to the top.
  7. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

DFW, I don't have that problem at all. The ONLY time I've had the few here and there not cut, is trying to whack down 10" of growth with dull blades.. going way too fast. 99% of the accts. I have are st. Aug...