1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

St. Augustine not growing much

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by williams lcm, Nov 15, 2011.

1. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

I am on EOW but most of my St.Augustine lawns can go on every three weeks. I had a few customers tell me not to mow it because it has not grown. We have had no rain and we can only water the lawns once a week. How are your lawns looking?

2. My yards have slowed down nice, but still look good. We water 2x/wk plus I fertilized everyone 3 weeks ago so that has helped. I would love to go every 3 weeks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. williams lcm

You guys dont have water restrictions where you can only water once a week? I thought most counties in Florida passed that restriction. They say you dont need to water more than once a week in the winter because it is just wasting water . When you can only water once a week the grass will not grow much.

4. we can actually go 3x/week now.

There is still a need to go 2x/wk as it is still in the 80's here.

5. j-ville native

j-ville native LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I'm going to let the St. Augustine lawns that I am cutting this week go until Dec. 15 before I mow them for the last time before winter. Also we only water once a week this time of year because it is not warm enough to evaporate all the ground water that would collect from twice a week waterings.

6. wow, your lawns wont grow much for a whole month?? What a vast difference b/t north and south florida....

7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Most of my SA lawns got their last weekly cut on Oct 28th. I didn't know it was going to work out like that, but it did. I figured I would do most of them every 10 days for a few weeks, but they all are fine at 2 weeks. I won't push 3 yet. Of course the heat and humidity is back now. It was pretty miserable today

8. j-ville native

Yeah, lol and they won't even really need it in a month but I'll do them anyways so that they look nice and trimmed up for the winter. I actually looked over my record books from last year and I had some lawns that I cut for the last cut of the year in November and then didn't cut them again until March

9. j-ville native

today was the first warm day in a while. Its been cold here

10. williams lcm

You still do year round contract up in Jacksonville or pay per cut?