St. Augustine not growing much

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by williams lcm, Nov 15, 2011.

1. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

I am on EOW but most of my St.Augustine lawns can go on every three weeks. I had a few customers tell me not to mow it because it has not grown. We have had no rain and we can only water the lawns once a week. How are your lawns looking?

2. My yards have slowed down nice, but still look good. We water 2x/wk plus I fertilized everyone 3 weeks ago so that has helped. I would love to go every 3 weeks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. williams lcm

You guys dont have water restrictions where you can only water once a week? I thought most counties in Florida passed that restriction. They say you dont need to water more than once a week in the winter because it is just wasting water . When you can only water once a week the grass will not grow much.

4. we can actually go 3x/week now.

There is still a need to go 2x/wk as it is still in the 80's here.

5. j-ville native

j-ville native LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I'm going to let the St. Augustine lawns that I am cutting this week go until Dec. 15 before I mow them for the last time before winter. Also we only water once a week this time of year because it is not warm enough to evaporate all the ground water that would collect from twice a week waterings.

6. wow, your lawns wont grow much for a whole month?? What a vast difference b/t north and south florida....

7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Most of my SA lawns got their last weekly cut on Oct 28th. I didn't know it was going to work out like that, but it did. I figured I would do most of them every 10 days for a few weeks, but they all are fine at 2 weeks. I won't push 3 yet. Of course the heat and humidity is back now. It was pretty miserable today

8. j-ville native

Yeah, lol and they won't even really need it in a month but I'll do them anyways so that they look nice and trimmed up for the winter. I actually looked over my record books from last year and I had some lawns that I cut for the last cut of the year in November and then didn't cut them again until March

9. j-ville native

today was the first warm day in a while. Its been cold here

10. williams lcm

You still do year round contract up in Jacksonville or pay per cut?