St. Augustine Organic's

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Landscape Poet, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

This is true. If you are a traditional Lesco user you will find the fertilizers labeled as such when you use online to pull ahead of time.

2. Landscape Poet

I agree with my planting on ornamentals and trees - not sure that I am willing to switch on them yet. Asian scale was battled like all hell broke lose again this year like every year since we moved here - I have seen others trying to battle with the organic oils etc and watched them lose. The other issue would be the aphids that attack my.
    On the manure - any issues with smell on that? That would be a concern for my lawn - I have no doubt it would provide the green, but my thoughts about corn meal are for the fungal benefits. Check this article link out I found here on the site - I think Krill put it up in another thread, but hell it may have been someone else. ARTICLE

Working on pulling out my soil report now to give those that were interested in the character of my soil to help me a little more insight.

3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks I have been looking for that article, I think your right Kiril posted that
    What got me was how effective poultry litter compost was for controling fungal disease
    good article thanks

4. Landscape Poet

OK - Sound like some of you have questions on the soil conditions in order to help with the program - follow this link and look below the picture of the lawn and you will find my soil test. LINK

Please note that this is what the soil is most likely under its natural conditions as before this the soil did not have anything done to it other than some light fert.
    This DOES NOT represent the soil as of right now as all corrections recommended were made. Also a full application (full Bag) of Lesco's Iron Plus has been put on the turf as well as a additional 50 lb of tech mag.

As someone has asked - no there is not a issue with Ca

The main issues I planned on continuing to address while using a pure traditional program were following deficiencies
    The Mg - K - B -Cu Mn and of course bring the Mg to K ratio to a more appropriate level. As you will see from the test those appeared to be the main isssues IMO. I would assume all of these could be addressed with organics Right.

5. Landscape Poet

OK - this maybe a little harder than I have thought - Started looking for Whole Corn Meal at the farm stores here and am not able to find! Tried doing a search for Chicken Litter Compost or any compost here and have not had any luck finding. This is going to be a little bit more complicated than I thought.

6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I see Kiril's link showed poultry litter compost as being effective for suppressing fungal diseases but how about chicken manure that has been dehydrated or heated?

7. Landscape Poet

I am interested in the same question! However my main concern now is where I am going to find the actual organics I need, just priced Corn meal at the store tonight, can not say that it would be a cheap use to buy from the store.

8. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Find some horses, then ask where they get their food.

9. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Nutrient PLUS Nature Pure 4-4-2 http://www.nutrientsplus.com/npcus1/pdf/NaturePure.pdf. Litter free, properly composted without driers, non-Pasteurized, biologically active. Apply at 10lbs/k.

10. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Michael,
    We will be exhibiting at the STMA (Sports Turf Managers Association) show in Orlando next week, you should come by and say hi

it is at the Disney’s Coronado Springs Jan 14 & 15