St. Augustine Organic's

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Landscape Poet, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

You could say the same thing about breathing the air in your house.
    I've been using compost with turkey crap for over 15 years without any problems.

2. hunter

hunter LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Your lucky. But is it really worth the chance. With your clients animals health and their health. Read about it and you'll find out it's easy to catch. But go ahead and stick your head in the poo and breath.

3. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

4. Landscape Poet

Thanks Kiril - will check this out too -

5. Landscape Poet

Might be able to visit with you after all - just dropped Jr. off at school and it is 35 degrees at 9:00 in the morning. Doubt my services will be needed this week!

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Really dude .... don't you think you are being a bit paranoid?
    Given the fungus is soil borne as well, I guess everyone should hardscape their yards?
    Perhaps you should also stop fertilizing with nitrogen too, since that also increases the likelihood of infection.

Heck, if you want to be paranoid about fungal/mold infection risks, I can provide you with ample material that will essentially cause you to conclude the only safe place to exist is in a hermetically sealed room.

7. Landscape Poet

This one is a bust - they do not sell the litter compost - I appreciate the effort Kiril

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Oh well. Did you ask them what they do with their broiler litter or if they know of anyone who sells composted poultry litter?

9. Landscape Poet

Kiril,

I called the local county ext. and am waiting for one of the livestock guys to give me a call back. I think I am going to start out with a yard of compost per k first and see how that goes Hopefully I will have a chicken litter source by the time March gets here, I would like to get down before the wet/fungus season kicks off here.
    I saw a post you made of what I think was your turf in a compost thread. Is that SA that you have? If so mind giving me some insight on what you are doing and what you have found about SA and using Organics? I know the soil types will be different but more how many apps of what you are doing to get the SA its N?
    How do you figure out how much N you are really putting down when you are putting Compost and Litter? Insight

10. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

Compost available to you? Search for links to posts from treegal1 and grohorganic. They are south FL but deal in the same types of soils you do and they basically do multiple compost top dressing apps and compost tea apps and address issues if they arise. But compost is the main stay in their op. Pretty much the same as any soil. Biology, minerals and humus - compost has all of these ingredients and organic matter.