1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

St Augustine patching

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by LawnVet, Jun 12, 2006.

1. LawnVet

LawnVet LawnSite Member
    from SE MI

I am working a lawn with some serious issues. First off the customer skimped on the sod and got the cheapest deal in town so it is full of weeds. I have finally have them on the run, but the other problem seems to be a widespread yellowing. I know it may sound like chemical burn, but it isn't because I didn't spray parts that are showing the same discoloration and slow growth. I'm thinking it is an aeration problem. I noticed some ponding last time I was around when the sprinklers were on. Could it just be that? It is weird because the lawn goes from a nice dark green to a bright yellow and then back again in a matter of steps and there doesn't seem to be a pattern. What's going on?!!

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

what about fungus?
  3. LawnVet

LawnVet LawnSite Member
    from SE MI

no fungus. I'm actually working in TX at the moment and it has been real dry. I have ensured the owner is only watering in the morning to avoid fungus. This is the most bizzare lawn I've seen because the green parts look healthier than the rest in the neighborhood, then there is dead grass in patches. Organic fertilizers and spot treatments haven't worked for the brown. I just overseeded part of it to test the response. My guess is aeration/compaction. What are my best attempts at fixing these in a limited access lawn (fences/ditches)?
  4. jcoste3

jcoste3 LawnSite Member

Aeration could be the culprit...Did you install the sod yourself? If so, how was the soil prepared before the sod was installed? When you say dead grass in patches, do you mean irregular patches or a very defined pattern? Irregular patches could mean the presence of chinch bugs, which are very active this time of year (they love hot, dry weather)