St. Augustine plugs?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by pirogue, Apr 21, 2008.

1. pirogue

pirogue LawnSite Member

Hi, 2 weeks ago I had someone spread mud in my yard that covers about 4000 sq ft. This past weekend I planted 20 flats of St. Aug plugs in the yard without starter fertilizer, is this bad, when and what should I fertilize the lawn with. I have bonus S, but not sure if that will be best????

The only thing we done was after planting each one my wife added a lil water with "All Purpose Miracle Gro". I've since watered the lawn pretty heavy.

Thanks in advance.

2. TforTexas

TforTexas LawnSite Senior Member

DO NOT USE THE BONUS S!!!
    You do not want to apply any herbicide to the newly planted plugs. Particularly Atrazine. Just use a good starter fertilizer. Something high in phosphorus (the middle number) such as Lesco's 18-24-12. Do that a couple times 8 weeks apart. Worry about weeds much later after the plugs have rooted in good, are spreading and you have mowed them several times.

3. pirogue

pirogue LawnSite Member

thanks very much for your respond, I will go get some starter fertilizer:cool2:

4. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

First couple of weeks water is the key ingredient for success.

5. pirogue

pirogue LawnSite Member

can to much water be bad? I've been watering everyday, all day.

6. TforTexas

TforTexas LawnSite Senior Member

Yes. Dont overdo the water or you will start battling disease problems when the weather heats up. You want to really soak the area for the first couple waterings then cut back to where you are keeping the first couple inches of soil moist, not muddy. That might mean 2-3 times a day or just once depending on the weather. A sunny windy day will require more waterings as it will dry out quicker and obviously a cloudy cool day wont need as much to keep things moist.
    But if your watering all day every day you probably got a swamp on your hands now.