St Augustine Problem, Help please!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by BikePilot, Oct 19, 2010.

1. BikePilot

BikePilot LawnSite Member

I went out of town and came home to my St Augustine looking yellow. I have done research but haven't had time to eliminate all possibilities down to a few. The obvious possibilities are St Augustine Decline (SAD), Iron chlorosis, fungus, chinch bug damage. I am leaning toward SAD or Iron chlorosis but not really sure. Please help with recommendations. This is my personal yard so luckily not a customer but I don't want mine dying either.

Older pics downloaded 10182010 088.jpg

Older pics downloaded 10182010 089.jpg

Older pics downloaded 10182010 090.jpg

Older pics downloaded 10182010 091.jpg

2. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Does not look like any SAD I've seen. A couple of the leaves look like they may have some lesions on them, so possible Gray leaf spot. What have temps been in your area? I have seen St Aug look like that after some pretty cool nights right before dormancy.

3. BikePilot

In the Atlanta area. Temps at night up to this point are low 50's. I thought about spraying some Iron on the yard to eliminate Iron Chlorosis which seems to be possibility. It's not a beautiful yard by any means and is actually a great test bed. I have everything except zoysia.

4. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

When was the last time you sharpened your blades? When was your last chemical application? Its not grey leaf spots or drugs.

5. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

Looks to me like you might be starting to get some Brown Patch. Are the affected areas in irregular circular type shapes? You might give the infected areas a tug and see if it pulls easily from the ground to check for Grub problems. Brown Patch will cause the grass blades to pull from the runners easily.

6. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

How much rain have you had? Could you take some photos of a larger area when it is daylight? Fungal issues now are "iffy" unless you've have them back when humidity was so high. Have you applied any fertilize lately?

7. BikePilot

I will take some better pics soon. I last applied fert at the end of July and at the end of September I applied Barricade. The grass does pull easy from the runners but the roots do not easily come up with it. This is the only grass in my yard I am having trouble with. It is not in irregular circle shapes. My St Aug is only in areas and has done really well up to this point. It was here when I bought and I have promoted its spreading by sprigging runners in different areas. We have had no rain to speak of but I have never had this problem in the 6 years Ive been here under same conditions. I have a 36in hustler hydro walk behind and sharpen blades monthly. I only cut my yard and neighbor. Thanks

8. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I really think you have Brown Patch but I would also like to see some pics of a larger area. In my area Brown Patch generally starts to hit a few weeks ago when the night time temps really start to become cooler and the dew starts to build after dark and stays on the ground until mid morning. Brown Patch affects the area where the grass blades meet the stolons/runners so the blades start to turn to a lighter green then yellow then brown. When the blades turn yellow they will pull easily from the runners. The good thing is that the runners and roots are not affected so the grass will come back next year although the affect areas usually do not green up as fast as the rest of the lawn because the cool nights and dew in the spring can cause this to hang around. The reason I do not think it is Gray Leaf Spot is because that generally hits in the summer and starts out as small triangular shaped lesions on the grass blades. Take All Patch affects the roots of the St Augustine and will cause the blades and runners to die. It causes the roots to become hard and die and the runners will pull up from the soil.

9. gunsnroses

gunsnroses LawnSite Senior Member

what he said

10. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Lol I was trying to say bugs not drugs, lol! Im sure its Brown Patch.