St. Augustine Problem

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RAlmaroad, Aug 9, 2007.

1. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Last year I sodded most of my own yard in SC. Up until then I had Centipede and am fairly new to taking care of the St. Augustine The St. Augustine is doing great until recently. There's plenty of green in the grass but when it's mowed there is brown and yellow grass deep in the sod. What is that? Could it be some fungi that are developing in the heat? Grass is irrigated and gets about 1"/week. Looks great until it is mowed. Any help or suggestions
    Thanks
    Roy

2. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

The best way to care for st aug. is to mow it high and often. When it gets really high and its cut cometimes it gets the way you are describing. It is a good time to use a good fungicide now because of the humidity.

3. RAlmaroad

from SC

Thanks and you're probably right. My mowing guy quit the business and the grass only gets mowed everyother week. My fault because of work here in TN. It's really hard to get mowing people in my area to stay with the smaller propertys of 1/3 acre. Anyway, I'm spraying fungicide next week when I can get down there.
    Thanks,
    Roy

4. RAlmaroad

from SC

Oilve and others: Which fungicide is best for St. Augustine (Name) and whether granular or liquid for best results. Here in TN, I use Ferti-Lum Systemic but we don't have much of a problem with humidity.
    Thanks

5. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

systemic i like thiophanate-available at hd I think it is the bayer product.
    At lesco or others 3336-look for generic-its $$
    preventitive-mancozeb-not sure of the labeling-maybe try dithane-one is specifically labeled for your need.