St. Augustine problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CSRA Landscaping, Jun 14, 2002.

1. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

This St. Augustine has been like this all season long. I'm wondering if it's because the rye crowded it out and it just hasn't recovered yet, or if there are some grubs/mole crickets causing problems, or maybe a fungus. I really just began looking at it today, so any insight would be helpful. I'm going to post three pics of it.

st. aug. problem.jpg

2. CSRA Landscaping

Close-up of the large patch.

st. aug. prob. close-up.jpg

3. CSRA Landscaping

Closer shot of the parts behind big bertha.

st. aug. prob2.jpg

4. heather

heather LawnSite Member

HAVE YOU RULED OUT CHINCH BUGS? FAR AWAY PICS LOOK LIKE SOME DAMAGE.

5. CSRA Landscaping

I haven't ruled out anything, yet. I noticed it last season and I thought maybe it was from the ztr, so this season I'm using a WB on it but still the same. This turf is WELL irrigated, fertilized, and aerated, so that's why I'm wondering what's up here. I guess I could get out the ole coffee can and see how many floaters I get ...

6. mowerparts

mowerparts LawnSite Member

If it is not spreading then I would say that it is old damage and has not filled in yet. If so, plug it or install new grass.
    The one part by the patio looks like chinch(spl) bugs damage. They allways start by cement or blacktop areas. (They love the heat, the hotter the better).:blob3:

7. If the root system is real loose and gives way when you shuffle your foot on it, and since you said it has not responded to your maintenance, I say its got to be chinch. Sevin will kill. I had the same trouble and repeat apps EVERY 14 days (3 apps in all) corrected the problem. Watch cutting height in summer to keep soil as cool as possible. Replace damaged turf. This is a tricky problem...I know most techs will do a 'reactive' (wait until the problem comes) rather than a 'proactive' (apply pesticide whether the grass indicates a breakout). In the case you are facing maybe a more proactive approach will be best since you already have strong evidence of an invasion that could happen again. Hope this helps.

P.Y.S.

8. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

doesnt look like chinch bugs to much green grass in it and no yellowing who fertilizes it ive seen st aug do this when a customers neihbor used bahia weed n feed took 2 years to recover also could be a fungus

9. CSRA Landscaping

I fertilize it, using Lesco's 16-4-8, the only weed control that I've used has been atrazine.

10. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

i have seen chinch bugs become resistant to certain pesticides dursban etc in yards that were treated as prevetative kill and you may be killing beneficial insects as well best to part the grass were it is yellowing with your hands in hot weather usually 1/4 below soil to see if the little guys are crawling around