St Augustine Question?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sweet Tater, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

This is a question for my lawn not a customer's.
    I have a nice Bermuda lawn going on, but I am in love with St Augustine. If I sprigged some SA would it take and which gras do you think would be dominate and win the take over?

2. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would guess the Bermuda. Down here, there's a lot of Bermuda/St. Augustine Mix and the Bermuda is usually dominant. However, if you take good care of the St. Augustine, it stays relatively pure.

3. Sweet Tater

cool, thanks, I was hoping the answer would be he SA would take over :( thats a beautiful grass.

4. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya it is really beautiful, all my yards except one have it. My yard is the perfect example (not to brag) I fertilize regularly, mow at proper height, and it is just thick, green, and beautiful.

Only thing is, you cant edge with a weedeater, and you have to mow very frequently.

5. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

If you get some sprigs going good you can mow high and apply some fertilizer with atrazine in it [scotts bonus s]. This will weaken the bermuda and helps the st augastine. I have gotten some mixed yards to take over this way, but it still takes a little while. The only thing I dislike about the st augastine is the problems you can have with dieases in high humidity.

6. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

BTW Tater, how is your trailer doing? Every time I'm scooping the clippings out of the front of my enclosed trailer I think of yours.

7. Sweet Tater

Its going great, used it
    friday to deliver 2 yards of mulch. dumped like a dream.
    I did have to hve the frame under the side gate re=enforced, wen I put the lazer in by that gate the trailer sagged just enough that the 4 ft walls would hang the side gate. Works great now tho.