St. Augustine Recovery

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawnguy26, Jul 6, 2005.

1. lawnguy26

lawnguy26 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

What is the best way to get damaged areas in St. Augustinegrass to recover?
    Most say, or think, the best way is to rake out the dead stuff and apply a rich, nutritional soil to the area.
    Actually, correct me if I’m wrong, soil will just bring in weeds and possibly nematodes.
    Should you leave the dead thatch, to shade soil from sunlight, and apply extra nitrogen to area to promote new growth?
    Rake out dead stuff and apply sand to area?
    Apply a sand/milorganite mixture to area?

Opinions, Thoughts, Answers….???

2. B&B

B&B LawnSite Member

Why not put down a few squares of sod,instant fix.

3. lawnguy26

lawnguy26 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I can't put sod down on every single new customer with damaged areas. Or exsisting customers that get damaged areas from drought, traffic, man made, hurricane debris(it's coming again :cry: )etc....
    I'm just looking for some good advice to give to customers or something cheap I can do to WOW my current customers and future referals.

4. T Edwards

T Edwards LawnSite Member

"I can't put sod down on every single new customer with damaged areas."

Why not? It's an instant fix without agonizing over how slowly the damaged areas are filling in, and it's a great up-sell.

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

If it is too thin I would suggest plugs. I use a gas powered drill to make to holes and a house trailer Tie Down as an augar. I would also suggest nothing more than Milorganite and a good starter Fert to bring these areas back.

6. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Ric is right. I have put in thousands of plugs and just add a little human stuff (milorganite) to the soil and it will do fine. Will cover before you know it.

7. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

home depot sells a 4" auger for a cordless drill, Ive put 40 trays of plugs in with a single battery

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Promo

Yes I forgot about the electric Drill. I have done the same with an extension cord. For under $ 10.00 you can buy the medium sized Trailer Tie Down rod and cut the Eye off the top of it. I have found those to be just perfect for plugging, They also work for installing Termite Bait stations. I will have to check out Home Cheapo.

For smaller jobs I am sure the Battery drill works ok. But I have found the gas powered drills to have more power and to be much faster.

9. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

For years until it finally took a dive, I used an Echo gas drill for plugging and made a donut ring for cleaning the sprinkler heads. It was easier than the attachment for the weedeater and it does not tie up a weedeater just for sprinkler heads.

I used a 4" plant bulb auger for my plugs and a purchased a donut ring tool and welded a half inch steel rod so that it was just a little lower than waist high. Works good when you have a few thousand to do for sure.