St Augustine + Sand = Why

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Turf Dawg, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Let's compare apples to apples. People get SA bc they want it to look good. People wouldn't get common Bermuda for the same reason. Hybrid cultivars, yea, but as others have said they require tons of work. Really though, how many high end homes with zoysia or Bermuda is the turf used for wear tolerance??
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Plus most St Augustine problems are induced by people. Overwatering brings in all the water weeds and fungus. Overfertilizing fungus and insect. Cut too short crabgrass takes over. St Augustine managed properly is pretty easy and looks great.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I will agree that St Augustine is easy for the mowing aspect but that is about as much as I like it and would sure not want it on a sand base [in my area] which is right on the TX and OK border. I have never seen or messed with Empire Zoysia but I love the Jamur and Palisades Zoysia. I have planted several pallets and have had great luck with it. The Bermuda I like the Celebration but hate to try and take care of the Tiff 419 that they put on most of the lawns around here because I do not have a reel mower and I can not cut it every 3 days. I know some may laugh at me but my favorite Bermuda to take care of is some Coastal Bermuda that was once pasture.

4. bugsNbows

bugsNbows LawnSite Member

LMAO, man is his own worst enemy. :hammerhead:

5. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

I agree ric 100% thats why I started my post with "unless you want to use your yard" In our area most people dont so yes sa is probably the best overall choice....maybe...when it comes to a yard like most people in the world outside of retirementville, they actually go out and use it, and when that is factored in SA is probably a poor choice.

6. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

cancel reply