1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

St. Augustine Virus. Anybody ever delt with?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Paradise Yard Service, Jan 13, 2001.

1. One of my clients has a problem with a persistant burnout in the St. Augustine lawn (about 3 foot patch). A book I have it mentions St. Augustine can have a problem with St.Augustine Decline (SAD) virus. Thatch not a problem as the rest of the lawn is immaculate and lush. I was thinking at first the cleaning lady dumped her clorox bucket but its been several months now with same prob. The lawn was installed in the early 80s so its possible newer varieties have come along that are resistant to SAD virus.
  2. curlawngreen

curlawngreen Banned

Could be hydrophobic.If it was SAD the whole lawn would be starting to decline.Look up the Florida University Ag dept.
  3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Good start is "floridaplants.com" from here you can find ton's of info on Augustine ......the Fla Univ Ag site is the best source of info ..... the site is down right now "edis.ifas.ufl.edu" but hands down the #1 info site on Southern Grass

I'd cut that section out and re-sod soon as possible

Good Luck
  4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

PYS, just curious, what varieties off St. Augustine grasses do you have in Hawaii
  5. Thanks alot for the help on my problem with St. Augustine. I will look up the info cited on the web. As far as I know we have mostly 'Floratine' and some dwarf varieties in Hawaii. Once a few years back I saw a varigated variety. It wouldn't do for a lawn but it was intersting nonetheless. We cut our St. Augustine fairly high. About 2-3 in. and mulch mow whenever can. For years we just slammed our Augustine accounts as low as we could. But for 3-4 years now we cut it higher. We find if you raise the deck a little higher the grass tends to remain greener, healthier, stronger. Most Phillipine LCOs cut it far too low and it looks ratty. Alot of residents in Hawaii don't care for Augustine. However, you look around and find it on some very expensive real estate. and of course its the only grass that tolerates shade, aside from slow growing Emerald Zoysia (Zoysia japonica x Z. tenufolia). Many here mistakingly call Augustine Buffalo grass. Some of my best lawns have been Augustine.
    Thanks again for the response and sorry I'm late in reply as I've been going crazy in the biz.
    Aloha, P.Y.S.