St. Augustine Weeds

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tsmith72, Feb 26, 2008.

1. tsmith72

tsmith72 LawnSite Member

Right all grass is dormant and I know how to treat bermuda right now for weeds. How do you treat St. Augustine grass right now that is heavily covered with green weeds

2. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

The only herbicide that St. Augustine will tolerate with any kind of good results is Atrizine.

There are some others but that is the best of the bunch. Liquid is 1000x's better than granular but the only yard you can put either on without a license to apply is your own.

Please sub this work out to a pro if you are not qualified to do it for your customer.

If this is for yourself, good luck and happy weed killing.....

3. Hoots

Hoots LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Has anybody been to one of the box stores lately and seen Image? I may have had a dream, but I think I saw Image with Atrizine. This may help. Read the label and see what it covers.

Another option is a product called Certainty. It is labeled for St. Augustine. You can get it at Lesco/JDLandscapes or BWI. This product is great if you know what you are spraying it on and at the correct rate.

Certainty is also a great option for the sedges and kyllinga in the summer time. I think it is about $100/acre to buy this product, but imo it is worth it because it works

Hope this helps.

4. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

DO NOT USE IMAGE ON DORMANT CENTIPEDE OR ST.AUGUSTINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Image is good for growing centipede and St. Augustine. Yes, there is an image with Atrazine in HD and LWS. It is good. The other IMAGE is good for your dollarweed and some some Sedges but not the best.
    For your weeds now--try Atrazine. You can buy it at some feed and lawn stores. However it is only the 4% variety and not the 4L that is regulated. Another product is Southern Ag's Weed killer with Trimec that is safe for your St. Augustine BUT read the label and apply at half strength. St. Augustine does not tolerate the strong Dicambia in most Three-Ways. It's not that expensive so try a small area before blanketing the whole lawn. Do you know what weeds (Broadleaf or grass) you have?