St Augustine

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by sugara2z, Aug 10, 2005.

1. sugara2z

sugara2z LawnSite Member

Hello, I live in Hampton roads Virginia (Suffolk) I have a client that has had St. Augustine grass for about 4-5 years. At the end of last year I noticed 3-4 spots of dying grass about 4 ft in diameter each. at that time I applied granular anti fungal treatment. The grass area is in full to mostly full sun and in the winter I overseaded with rye grass. It is august now and the spots have not been thriving to the point of making much need way to knitting together. Further more I have noticed this week a few other areas that the blades of grass are yellowing quite a bit.

What is it that is doing this and what do I need to do?

2. sugara2z

sugara2z LawnSite Member

i'm thinking Chinch bugs, what is the organic method for the destruction and prevention of chinch bugs?

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

This was in another thread "Use an insecticidal soap spray on areas where damage has occurred. Products containing pyrethrin can also be used."

4. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Could be a lot of things. You are pushing the limits of St. Augustine in that area. it is a warm season/southern grass. Even in my area which is south of you it is difficult to grow.

5. sugara2z

sugara2z LawnSite Member

Avery, the st. Augustine grows fairly well here for about 8 months a year then it goes dormant. Some people are content with a brown yard for the 4 "winter" months others prefer a wintergreen yard of rye. At any rate the St. Augustine is a resonable choice for residents that don't like to irrigate and are tired of fighting crabgrass and weeds in this borderline state of north-v-south.

6. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here and same with bermuda. I am just pointing out that you are pushing the boundry for that grass. Thus the problem you are seeing with this lawn.

This page will give you some info. on St. Augstine and why it is not the best choice for your area.