st.augustine

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by williams lcm, Feb 6, 2014.

1. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

There is not one lco in my area that is cutting St.Augustine at 4 inches in the winter . I cut it at 4inches in the winter while others are probably at 3.5 inches. You lco's drop the height this time of year? I know many mowers cut height does not actually measure up to what they are cutting. Maybe that is why. Usually my mowers that I have throughout the years are cutting at the proper height when new but as they get older cut height changes. I have a new customer that told me that I better not lower deck height in the winter like outher lawn guys do. I said nope it won't happen with me
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. I go to 3.75" if its a cold winter with little growth. its not that big of a deal.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Why would someone cut it shorter when it is not growing as fast? I deal with grasses cut between 1/2-1". When they are not growing because of the time of year, mower is raised to an inch, if not more.

4. bc during a cold winter(not freezing weather just avg temps around 65 and lows in 40/50, you get very little growth and after two weeks cutting at 4" will look like nothing was cut. there's no harm to the st Aug so therefore no problem.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. greendoctor

As long as everyone does not keep going progressively lower. I mention it because I have seen it happen.

6. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

That customer sounds like he has been through several lawn operators. Wonder if hes the problem?

Any new customer that says "you better not ......" sounds high maintenance already!

7. yea this is only with those circumstances. we have had a warm winter here and I've been cutting at 4" still.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. greendoctor

Sadly, I have yet to find many lawn people who understand St Augustine. Most of them cut it at 11/2-2 and wonder why the grass is so hard to keep. Then St Augustine becomes known as the ugly grass that dies easily. I then have a hard time getting people to use it when it is the best thing for their circumstance.

9. greendoctor

Or he has had to many people come around and butcher the lawn. Mine get reassured that lawns will be mowed with good equipment at the right height of cut. No scalping, no dull machines.

10. Yup ignoramuses. They want St. Aug to be zoysia but wot pay for zoysia. the snowbirds that come here call it crabgrass...probably due to the fact it becomes that after scalping over and over
    Posted via Mobile Device