st.augustine

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by williams lcm, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

No lowering here. This is why I don't mind leaves, twigs and other winter debris. It looks like you were there and did something. The wheels still leave marks, leaves get mulched and anything over 4" gets nipped. Holds down the squabbling when somebody gets the bright idea "hey! I can save a few bucks by cutting back the lawn service".
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Those same people try to maintain zoysia and bermuda that same way turning it into a weed filled mess. Crabgrass. People here call it that too, especially when the wrong height of cut turns it into a weed patch.

3. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

An lco around here advertise that to have a proper St.Aug lawn that you must scalp cut it once a year before spring. I laughed at that
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Patriot Services

Bosh, bull,bunk,crock,drivel,flummery,fudge,fustian,jargon,malrkey,poppycock,rigamarole,rot,rubbish,trash,tripe and twaddle. Did I miss any?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. yes. Basura
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Now I am really not going to fault your customer for being concerned.

7. Patriot Services

Ah if I had a nickel for every time grandpa told me to "cut the Basura and get on with it".
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  8. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

balderdash, merde, scheisse?

9. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

I do not understand this thought process of lowering during winter. This is the time when their is actually less daylight for photosynthesis , so we are going to cut the leaf blade shorter? I stay above 4.5 on all S.A even this time of year. Sometimes when we cut especially in January it may not show a lot of removal , but when we are done the lawns surface is level, which is what they pay for.

10. Patriot Services

Yep and you got to make sure you alternate patterns and direction. Even though the tire stripes are pretty you don't want to create trample tracks.
    Posted via Mobile Device