1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

st augustines service

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mike M, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

Anyone servicing st. augustine's turf grass, I would appreciate some tips.

I understand these are high maintenance lawns, weekly 3" cut (unlike a 10 day centipede), lots of cinch bugs, fungus, lime for pH if needed, etc.

But the estimate I got at Lesco was about 600 in treatments for the year. This is mostly because of my low volume sales and having to get started for one lawn (I have mostly centipede customers, I try to go all organic if possible).

It dawned on me the obvious importance of a soil test, which will also help with only applying what is needed.

My q: how much stuff do you typically need for a lawn under or within 6500-8500 sq.ft.?

I am coastal in SC.

Much appreciation!!
  2. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i spend more than 600 on my st. augustine lawn, and thats with me putting it down on 2 lots though.
  3. jbannick18

jbannick18 LawnSite Senior Member

All I cut is st. Augustine floratam and I wouldnt dare cut it at 3 inches I always cut at 4 otherwise it will just dry up in the Florida heat
  4. mjlcare

mjlcare LawnSite Member

you take a strip at 3 in and your not going be doing that account anymore, 4in + and if it rains then maybe higher, all depends that the biggest thing that i have found with aug, you really have to know each yard and what level to cut it at. good luck with the grass
  5. Down2EarthLawns

Down2EarthLawns LawnSite Member

4" cuts in the off season. 4.5-5" weekly in growing season. Don't cut it too low, takes awhile to repair itself.
  6. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

What about pesticides & fungicides, do you guys spot treat, routine prevent, or kind of mix that, depending on knowing each particular lawn?

If I do this, I will need a chemical treatment co. for the treatments. On centipede, I use straight fertilizer (not too much at a time) and 10 day cut.

The bigger LCO's (very big) have most of the gated communities with St. Aug.

Funny, in the same neighborhood, I have one guy who wants me to just cut his St Aug., and he's been doing the treatments, and the other guy wants treatment only, and he does the cuts. Maybe I should just introduce them to each other. lol.

I thought of turning down both for two reasons. My centipedes are all 10 day, and I don't have my applicators license.

But I went ahead and booked the cuts-only guy at 7 day cycles.
    Other than him, I never do cuts-only.

There is plenty of work for the centipede. The key with it is to keep them from fertilizing and watering early in the season. Brown patch is crazy around here, plus we always get a late frost that knocks it down and stresses it.
  7. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

3" is too low for St. Augustine. I cut at 3 7/8, sometimes 4".
  8. jbannick18

jbannick18 LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't had problems with fungacides in my yards luckily. Weeds are a different story, dollarweeds etc. Atrazine is probably the best thing to spot treat with, or thats what lesco has told me. As far as pesticides, I would use talstar one. I don't mess with chemicals though