St. louis area

Discussion in 'Network: Central' started by Dunn's, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Lucky Star Lawn Care

Lucky Star Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys...ya this weather has been something else!

2. hitechlm

hitechlm LawnSite Senior Member

Is anyone else loosing bids to way under priced bids. We just lost a condo association to a company thats charging $10 an hour. We've lost several bids like this, this winter. I dont understand, the price of equipment and fuel keeps going up, but the mowing prices are going down. I like this industry, but not enough to just break even. This winter has been brutal

3. xtreem3d

xtreem3d LawnSite Senior Member

I think the commercial grass is going downhill. We have also had to cut prices to retain some places. We are also starting to gear more towards hardscape, fert, installs ect and this season possibly residential to help out especially because of no snow. I think I have seen a truck of yours around So Co...Do you know who under bid you? (It wasn't me !!) I have heard rumors that some of the bigger companies have so much invested in salesmen salary that they need any kind of sale to help make money,
    Steve

4. hitechlm

Mitchell under bid myself, brake and loyet by 30k on a set of apartments and Im not sure who the other company was on the condos. We did a fall clean up on a property in So Co this past fall. We are doing the same and trying to get back into the residential market, i wish i would have never got out of it.

5. xtreem3d

It sounds like your not in South County..where are you located? I bought a used ferris from Mitchell a couple years ago

6. xtreem3d

PS 30g's is big gap !!!! :dizzy:

7. hitechlm

Im in O'Fallon, MO. Thats what i thought, i can understand a few thousand, but 30k? Really? Does Mitchell have any large properties? I've only seen his trucks on the raod, it looks like he has nice equipment.

8. xtreem3d

I don't know his properties...he had a fairly good size shop and said that he turned over his machines regularly.

9. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

Who is a good fert company to work with out in the Eureka/West Co area?

10. xtreem3d

Do you mean to contract with or buy through?