St Louis Metro Area

Discussion in 'Network: Central' started by rookie03, Sep 18, 2004.

1. rookie03

rookie03 LawnSite Member
    from OK

I'm looking for those who work in the west part of St Louis w/in a 50 mile radius of Chesterfield area. What are the avg size lawns there? What equipment would be best for the area? And what is the market like there? Is there a lot of commercial properties to bid on? Or mainly residential? Any information about this area would be helpful. Thank you for your time!

2. rookie03

rookie03 LawnSite Member
    from OK

Anyone live in St. Louis area? The place is huge...I know we have to have someone on here in the area.

3. pbillings

pbillings LawnSite Member

Yes, I'm in the area of st. louis. Are you in St louis or are you looking to move there and start a business. I'm starting a lawn bus. at the begining of spring. It sounds like the work is out there and seems that there is alot of commercial businesses. I'm gonna be beating the pavement soon nto roust some customers.

4. rookie03

rookie03 LawnSite Member
    from OK

pbillings,

I'm having to move to the STL area possibly. What city are you in? What are the sizes of the yards there? Thanks!

5. pbillings

pbillings LawnSite Member

I live on the outskirts of st. louis, in Lincoln County. I'm about 1 hour away from where I'm going to do business. Yes there is huge clientel here. It depends on where you go. There are new subdivisions all over the place. There are highly rich neighborhoods and tons of commercial. If your moving here it should be worth it......The only problem is, the big lawn companies that employ mexicans (illegals) and they undercut like crazy. You just have to be careful.......................Paul

6. rookie03

rookie03 LawnSite Member
    from OK

Not too familiar with St Louis, what city are you in or near? I'm wanting to find small lawns and stay away from the 1/2 acre plus yards. Do you think that would be easy to do?

7. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

The municipalities closest to the City of St. Louis have the smaller to medium lawn sizes. Clayton-University City-Webster Groves-Kirkwood would seem to have median incomes that would support your business. Crestwood-Affton and St. Charles County, which is farther west, also have a small to medium average lawn size, but your customers would be a little more price conscious, IMO.

8. rookie03

rookie03 LawnSite Member
    from OK

TurfProSTL,

Thanks for the post! Just the information I'm looking for about STL. Are we doing mainly residential? Or do we have a good mix of commercial property to bid on? How much do you think one could make, just mowing, doing it solo? Also, any ideas on how much time it would take to do most properties and the amount you would probably make doing those yards? Thanks TurfPro!

9. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

University City-Webster Groves-Kirkwood-Crestwood-Affton are mostly residential communities with a smattering here and there of commercial properties, like malls. The center of Clayton is like a second 'downtown' St. Louis, alot of commercial, but mostly pavement.

Your best bet for commercial properties would be an area bounded by I-170 on the east, I-270 and MO 370 on the north, MO 30 on the south.

West St. Louis County (US 67 and west) is where the largest tracts of turf are located, residential and commercial. But, this also where you will find the most competition.

I'm more of an applicator than a mower, so I won't be much help on pricing for what you want to do.....

10. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

As for commercial, you better start going out now and soliciting bids. Chem-Lawn and other large companies such as Brickman, Cut and Trim, Loyett and a couple others have a lot of the big paying commercial jobs and believe you me I know these guys cut each others throat to get that work. I'm not trying to discourage you but it's a fact of the business in this area.

As far as residential, I've seen more new start ups this year than any of the last 3 I've been in business. And there are some LCO's that are as cut throat as the big one's I mentioned above. But if you can provide quality work and your on time then your name should get around and the calls will start coming in.

Best of luck for you and your business.