St Louis, Missouri LCO's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rookie03, Sep 18, 2004.

1. rookie03

rookie03 LawnSite Member
    from OK

Hey Everyone,

May be having to move to the STL Metro area. Anyone work w/in 50 mile or so radius of Chesterfield? If so, could you help me out on telling me what the majority of lawns consist of? What size? What equipment would probably be best for the area? Good places for storage? Any information would be helpful. Do you have enough snow to plow there in the winter? Trying to figure out what I should expect if we have to move. Thanks for the help!

2. sanfordandsonfan

sanfordandsonfan LawnSite Member

I am located in St. Louis, and have been all of my life. As for chesterfield, that is a great location. Average home price has to be near 350,000 to 500,000 so people with money will not be a problem. I have been in business for five years, and have not had to worry about plowing snow. It does snow, but in the past couple of years, three to five inches has been the worse. We do get a fair amount of ice accumulation. I think you will find St. Louis to be a very good place to be in business. You could build up enough business in Chesterfield and never have to expand. That part (west st.louis) is growing very fast in all the right directions. Good luck.

3. sanfordandsonfan

sanfordandsonfan LawnSite Member

Forgot to mention about the equipment. Most residential companies I have spoken to in that area are using mostly walkbehind mowers. You will need to carry some smaller stuff because of all the landscapes and raised terrace areas that are becoming popular. The commercial cutters in that area use the big stuff, lots of green area in st. louis.

4. rookie03

rookie03 LawnSite Member
    from OK

Thanks for the info. Do you know how big the lawns are in the area? What setups do most have in the area? How long would it take to cut most lawns w/ a solo operation? Thanks!