St. Patrick Day blues

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by fishindude, Mar 17, 2006.

1. fishindude

fishindude LawnSite Member

Clover. Does that word haunt anyone else? Big problem with it this year. Not the kind that you can pull up with one clump, but the kind that spreads and does not die with a basic weed/feed fertilizer. Bur Clover? I think might be the name. White bur shaped flower attracts bee's. Can any of you pro's help me out? I tried a spay where you spray it directly on the clover, but the only ones that died are the ones that actually got the chemical on them and it also left an bare spot in the lawn. thanks

2. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

Any broadleaf herbicide should be fine.

Trimec is my recommendation.

3. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Trimec + works well for me. If turf is healthy there should only be a short browning if any.

You are Licensed, right?

4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Dimension or 2 4 D

5. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Dimension on clover? thats a new one...

The problem with Clover is that it has a very thick cuticular wax. Traditional products like trimec amine sit up on top of the wax and do not penetrate it. Ester formulations, being an oil emulsion do a better job of penetrating this wax.

I have had great results with Drive 75 (Quinclorac) on Clover, violets, ground ivy and other weeds with thick cuticular wax.

As always make sure you are properly licensed and insured before applying any control products.

6. fishindude

fishindude LawnSite Member

I am having the clover problem in my yard not a clients, however when a client asks me about clover I would like to be able to help by refering what works for me. Thanks for your replies

7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Last fall I planted 10 acres of clover :clapping: The guys a bee keeper and wanted it. But thats the 1st and probably the last time I'll be asked to "grow" clover

8. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

In that case...Lesco sells Drive 75 in a 2 ounce bottle that will treat about 6000' when mixed @ the labeled rate of .367 oz per thousand.

I also was adked to seed a wildflower lawn with the hydroseeder...you should have seen the lawn after that one! all weeds...

9. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

What does that do to the grass. Is there any browing. Never used it.

10. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

But remember.... it's only a weed if it's not what you want.:usflag: