1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sta-Bil All The Time?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOturkey, Oct 20, 2005.

1. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I've been adding Sta-Bil to all my equipment and gas tanks in anticipation of winter storage. Perhaps it is just my imagination, but it seems the trimmer, in particular, starts more easily, and idles smoother. And, no, it shouldn't have needed a tune-up, because I just had my dealer do one on it perhaps 6 hours or so ago. I was wondering if anyone uses Sta-Bil or another fuel stabilizer all the time, and if you figure it is worth the effort or expense. Thanks.
  2. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I do all year long. not all my equipment is being used all the time, in the summer my stump grinder can sit over a month without needing it,(weird, spring and fall I can't get enough time to do all the stump request, summer - rarely used.) some years I have no gates to deal with, so the walk behind is not used for long periods, never know, better safe than sorry. had to replace the carb on the stump grinder last fall due to sitting to long during the summer, cleaned it 4 times never did find the cause of problems (surging) but it cost 180 bucks for a new Honda carb.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

grins... I drain the fuel before I store the stuff... Way I do it is I when I stop using the trimmer I x-fer what's left to the Bp blower, same with the Wb's the left-over fuel goes to the push-blower (ok it goes in the can first), then by the end of the season for me it's January and everything is about out of fuel and the bit of fuel I still got left easily lasts until March when the shiite starts hitting the propellor AGAIN.

Anytime I foresee a piece sitting for an undetermined amount of time, I grab the syphon and a can and drain it... Why spend money on additives to preserve a Once-refined / use-asap resource? Guess it's all the same in the end thou, it takes time to drain the fuel, the few minutes spent doing this = the cost of the additive...?
  4. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

the Husky mix has it as an additive in the oil.
  5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, Opti-2 mix oil has stabilizer in it. It's a bear to keep 2 cycle stuff running perfect without stabilizer around my area. Too much humidity, condensation, anf of course the water you pick up at the station occasionally.
  6. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Do you drain the carbs too?
  7. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I use Sea Foam. Its a cleaner and fuel stabilizer. Generally the first of each month I mix it in my mower gas and I use it every other gallon of mix in my 2 cycles. When the month of Oct gets here I use it in all the gas I purchase so that all the equipment has a good mix in it for the winter months. Ive had good sucess doing this the past 3 years. It does cost a lil bit to do this but like someone posted earlier, the cost of a new carb was $180.00 plus the trouble of it not working when they needed it too. Down time in the lawn buisness is a killer, there is no way to regain daylight, time stands still for no one.
  8. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

My Scag/Echo dealer recommended to use Sta-bil or sea foam in every tank of gas I put in equipment. I didn't most of season just started a few weeks ago and I agree I think it helps. I thought he was b.s.ing me but have to admit I have seen the results, and I'm a maintenance nut, every single piece of equipment I have is well cared for.
  9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I forgot to treat and drain my gas in my leaf loader since spring. Try to start it last week and it would not. Drain the fuel and it looked like piss, after taking a bunch of flintstone vitamins....that nastiest yellow I ever seen. In short, had to take carb off and clean real well. This year, stabilizer goes through everything and gas drained.
  10. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

Sta-bil works good. Within the last few years I have been using sea foam. No matter what I would use something.