1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Staff Probs

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Rollacosta, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Rollacosta

Rollacosta LawnSite Senior Member

I'm at my tethers end,I try my damned hardest to create a good working atmosphere.I supply my staff with good wages,flexible [ish] working hours,new top quality equipment,safety clothing,I even shout lunch now and again..

Now i'm only a small firm with 1 full time staff member and 2 subcontractors.My subcontractors are relatively good workers,but even they have ''the attitude'' from time to time,my real probs are with my full time employee,now this guy has been with me for a year or so [he was a friend that needed some work]he started off ok but soon developed a kind of '''sacastic,unhelpfull,your putting me out by coming to work attitude'''

All of my previous employees have developed this type of attitude,and to be frank its really peeing me off!!

I'm so fed up i'm constantly thinking about getting work that involves ''no'' employees whatsoever!!!!!!!!!!

It seems to me the only time these guys are happy is when its pay day!

Am I going wrong somewhere or is this the way most employees are??
  2. Rollacosta

In a nutshell they seem to want the money but not the work!!!!

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

I hear you I deal with this every day I wish I had stayed a solo operation but NO I had to get big. I hate Mondays because you never know who's coming to work or they have a hangover:walking:
  4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

People wonder why company's go to robots.
  5. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

no offense, but if all your employees become this way, the problem might be how you are dealing with them...

you may be doing something withought knowing it, that cuases this attitude...

sounds like you need to have a sit down and crack the whip...

either they straighten out or they are gone.
  6. Rollacosta

I have pondered this,but I came up with the fact i'm not a fault ,like I said in an earlier post ,they want the money and not the work!!!
  7. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

When they are gone, Where does the next candidate(s) come from? I'm not being sarcastic but am also at a loss. I pay above average wages and treat people the way I want to be treated. The only comforting thing is other contractors have the same problem. Matt
  8. akerr

akerr LawnSite Member

Rollacosta, this post is a little off topic but i have felt the same way as some of your employees. I had the same attitude on and off for the past couple of years. I have worked for a landscape contractor for 6yrs, and in the beginning i was "gun-hoe" during the work day. I work hard non-stop, I would run to get tools and just bust my arse. After I graduate college I decided I wanted to continue in the landscape industry, but I want to develop my own company. My boss was supportive and basically became my mentor. He helped me pick up side work dealing with maintenance(mowing,etc..) because he did not offer that service. So a switch happened and I started over extending myself. I was working all day long for my boss and mowing etc... from 4pm into the dark all week long and then working on the weekends, for myself. Last winter I spoke to my boss about my work load and explained that I needed a couple of days during the week to get my projects completed. He wasn't happy but agreed to give 1 day then two days after i explained 1 would not be enough. I know most employers would've fired me, but i have a great working relationship with my boss and i am a hard worker. Since allowing me 2 days during the week things have gone down hill. I stopped enjoying working for my boss. I didn't like the jobs he was taking on, I felt that this wasn't what i wanted to do. i began to slack off. I was working but i wasn't enjoying it and my boss could definitely tell. so recently, about a month ago I told my boss this spring i was going to go out on my own. he wasn't happy but this was no suprise to anyone. I have had everything organized and he has been there through every step. So i guess what i am trying to say is it might not be the money, maybe your employees don't enjoy what they are doing. there is nothing worse than getting up and going to a job you don't enjoy. you might as well stay in bed. there are many types of people in the trades and generally a lead/leader eventually wants to try their to do their own thing. I think people have posted good advice; talk to your employees and see why they are unproductive(unhappy?). Just my thoughts.
  9. bob21

bob21 LawnSite Member

news flash dont hire friends, never they think they can get away with everythink
  10. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

Rollacosta, have you tried having a pep talk, meeting or the like to find out whey? Cut out from work early one day and have them all there, order in some pizzas and drinks aqnd ask for their opinion as to what needs to be done to be more productive and change their attitudes. They already know the reasons and you do not. Let them unload a little on you and together you and the crew can work it out. Who knows, maybe like it has been said, they do not enjoy the work, maybe it a money issue, maybe it is the way you approach them. But don't let it continue to go on and fester inside of you to destroy you, your company or your relationship with your employees and customers.