Stage 3 Water Restrictions

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ACutAboveNC, Sep 30, 2007.

1. ACutAboveNC

ACutAboveNC LawnSite Member

I am absolutely baffled at the fact that we did not have at least some type of voluntary water restrictions beginning Aug 1 here in the southern piedmont. Currently we are at almost a foot below average and have only recieved 1.5 inches of rain in 2 months and there is no rain in the forecast. We are currently in Stage 3 restrictions, for the first time in history, and their does not seem to be an end to all this. The only surprising thing is, 4 towns within 50 miles of here are not on any type of voluntary and mandatory restrictions. I am not really frustrated by the situation because there are remedies to this situation. Anyone else in such a rut?

2. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

We had the second dryest summer on record here in massachusetts. There are widespread water bans. The lawns have hung in there fairly well for the most part, no such luck for the ornamentals, dead plants everywhere!

3. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

here on the west central coast of fl. we have been on water restrictions for years 1 x week lawn watering. gets a little toasty in may and june

4. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Well we have passed the extreme level, and are looking for a way out. We have lakes that supply just about all of N. Ga drying up. We have total outdoor watering bans, and water patrols are out 24/7.....Weeds havent really been all that bad since we havent had much rain, but we barely have gotten through round 5 of 8 because its been so dry.

5. LawnJohn

LawnJohn LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

What TJ said......absolutely no watering...

6. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Except for new professionally installed plant material, which does include seeding.

Most areas still have this 30 day exemption in place.

Pesticides can also be watered in if labels dictate so.

7. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

I dont know who told you this, because I was at the official meeting last week, and someone asked about seeding, and lawn treatments and they said absolutely no water at all can be used for this....You can go ahead and tell you people to water, but beware they are going to get fined and you know they are going to blame you.

8. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is the text copied from the PDF published by the EPD. These exemptions apply during all levels of water restriction unless specifically removed by the EPD, and as of now they are still in effect.

This is becoming very difficult to track and keep customers informed. What makes it more confusing is that each local entity can also place tighter rules than what the EPD allows, so some counties are different. Perhaps the local meeting you attended was not on board with the exemptions.

If you want the entire PDF, go here.

391-3-30-.05 Exemptions
    (1) This rule shall not apply to the following outdoor water uses:
    (a) Capture and re-use of cooling system condensate or storm water in
    compliance with applicable local ordinances
    (b) Re-use of gray water in compliance with applicable local ordinances
    (2) The following established landscape water uses are exempt from the outdoor water
    use schedules of this rule.
    (a) Use of reclaimed wastewater by a designated user from a system permitted
    by EPD to provide reclaimed wastewater.
    (b) Irrigation of personal food gardens.
    (3) Newly (in place less than thirty days) installed landscapes are subject to the following:
    (a) Irrigation of newly installed landscapes is allowed any day of the week, but
    only during allowed hours for the drought response level in effect, for a period of
    30 days following installation. No watering is allowed during Drought Response
    Level Four.
    (b) For new landscapes installed by certified or licensed professionals,
    commercial exemptions apply.
    (4) The following golf course outdoor water uses are exempt from the outdoor water use
    schedules of this rule.
    (a) Use of reclaimed wastewater by a designated user from a system permitted
    by EPD to provide reclaimed wastewater.
    (b) Irrigation of fairways during times of non-drought and Declared Drought
    Response Level One.
    (c) Irrigation of tees during times of non-drought and Declared Drought
    Response Levels One, Two and Three.
    (d) Irrigation of greens.

(5) The following commercial outdoor water uses are exempt from the outdoor water use
    schedules of this rule.
    (a) Professionally certified or licensed landscapers, golf course contractors, and
    sports turf landscapers: during installation and 30 days following installation
    only. Professional landscapers must be certified or licensed for commercial
    exemptions to apply.
    (b) Irrigation contractors: during installation and as needed for proper
    maintenance and adjustments only.
    (c) Sod producers.
    (d) Ornamental growers.
    (e) Fruit and vegetable growers.
    (f) Retail garden centers.
    (g) Hydro-seeding.
    (h) Power-washing.
    (i) Construction sites.
    (j) Producers of food and fiber.
    (k) Car washes.
    (l) Other activities essential to daily business.
    (m) Watering-in of pesticides and herbicides on turf.

9. LawnJohn

LawnJohn LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

What TU said is true, but despite the exceptions, my clients, including commercial properties are canceling fall annuals, and reseeding and installs for the sake of avoiding even the possibility of getting fined.

There's always the hassle of county officials not knowing "when (something was done) and by whom" and having to prove all of that with documentation.

Just yesterday on the news it was reported that homeowners are reporting others who water....

.....it sucks, but it is what it is.....

10. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

In Georgia the EPD restrictions is a guideline, but the EPD leaves it up to the individual water authority to enforce tougher restrictions. Here in Winder its 14 day odd/even grace on new professional lawn installs. The installer himself must apply for the watering permit, not even a homeowner with a reciept can get a watering permit. The city of Winder has less then an 8 day supply of water, and the county of Barrow has less than 50 day supply now. We are in a bad situation, dont know what they are doing about it, but something must be done.

My neighbors called on me even though I am trucking in water from a nearby lake.