Staight or curved shaft Trimmers ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DanielC, Apr 17, 2008.

1. DanielC

DanielC LawnSite Member

I've been using a straight shaft forever,but latly been noticing some competion using curved shaft trimmers.Is there something i'm missing.I was wondering if they actually help on the back or whats the purpose.

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I have both and prefer the straight...to each his own I guess. I am going to setup one with a trench blade and see how that works.

3. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

curved suckkkkkkkkkkkk end of statment. if your short then maybe. but they dont trim level well they dont have good blance there not really commercial grade.

4. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

I think it is more personal preference but I can't stand curved shaft trimmers. They don't seem balanced. Also, I don't know of any good commercial quality curved shaft trimmers.

5. lawnboyoung

lawnboyoung LawnSite Member

they only work right if your about 5 feet tall. if your not they hurt your and you have all the problems listed above.

6. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

I wont go back to a curved shaft they make my back hurt from having to bend over with them

7. TKLAWN

TKLAWN LawnSite Member

I quess it all depends on your preferance we have people who can only use the gooseneckers but personally I can use either without a problem.

8. bigclawn

bigclawn LawnSite Senior Member

mainly people buy them because they are cheap and for the most part they have never ad a real trimmer in their hands.

9. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

ALL curved shaft trimmers are homeowner grade. They don't have the power and torque of straight shafted ones.

If you prefer a curved shaft that's your decision. But they are not designed to be used more than once a week. Thank god my Echo works well, my POS Homelite backup wouldn't last 3 days...

10. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

I remember being in a tight spot and not having a back-up trimmer, ran to Homedepot bought a curved shaft and promptly took it back...not worth the aggravation.