1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stain resistant mowing clothes?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Envy Lawn Service, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Here's what I am looking for:
    Stain resistant light Grey shorts and pants
    Stain resistant smiley face Yellow shirts... tees, polos, long sleeve tees, sweats....

I hope someone knows of some brands or fabric types to look for....
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

that's the funniest thing I've heard in a long, long time.

If someone knows of true stain-resistant clothing, care to fill me in on some POWER equipment that doesn't consume a lot of fuel?

sorry i know it's off color, i just couldn't help myself.
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Well, I have been wearing red shirts and grey shorts for years.
    They don't show filth bad and they are very stain resistant.
    So I have been pleased with those.

But, I have gone to lighter grey shorts, and they have really done reasonably well.
    But they are all riddled with stains now that refuse to come out.

In addition, I have picked up several different canary yellow tees to try.
    While they are cool and very high visibility....
    I have also gotten several customer comments about how "covered in grass" I am...
    As every little speck of grass that sticks to them stands out like a sore thumb.
    Also, now after a few wears, I look like a green and yellow dalmation...
    They grass stain like crazy.

So I was really hoping to see if someone could point me toward a certain brand or type of fabric before giving up the color scheme. It even seems to me that I could swear seeing some shirts tagged "Stain Guard" or something of the like in the past.

With all the members here, surely someone's uniform is yellow.....
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Go to a GM dealership, and find out where they get their Mr. Goodwrench shirts. These are lighter grey and must be somewhat stain resistant, because they stay rather clean. If you can get a look, atleast maybe you can find out the materials they are made from and perhaps the manufacturer. I can tell you something else...if you called a uniform shop, they would be of great help to you. They would be happy to tell you what type of materials they use and why they are so stain resistant. Just an idea....
  5. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

try some greases lighting on the clothes you have now. i know this isnt what you asking about but it does help and has removed grease from a kaikis pair of shorts.
  6. Envy Lawn Service

Thanks for the tips guys. I appreciate the replies.
  7. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

Envy, Runner mentioned about GM Goodwrench uniforms. Are they tied in with a local uniform supplier or is that a national thing? I don't have personal experience but a thought. Matt
  8. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Most regular uniform shirts are 65/35, polyester/cotton, and they are hotter than two rats "f 'n" in a wool sock.

Another thing to consider is that the "Goodwrench" shirts are cleaned with professional equipment by the uniform company.
    On the weeks that I forgot to send my clothes in, and had to wash them at home, they never came out as clean and seemed to stink a little earlier in the day.
    If you plan to use a uniform service, you may get away with your color scheme, my old light blue shirts came back pretty clean considering the way they looked when I dropped them off. (mechanic)
  9. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

has a uniform service (aramark) my uniforms are dark gray pants and
    I ususally wear a pocket t shirt k mart usually runs them for 4 to 5 for
    $10.00 and they are fruit of the loom shirts so thats not a bad buy and
    you can deduct the uniform service off your taxes. thinkin about getting printed t-shirts for next season
  10. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

I'm an irrigator and I wear different colored shirts. When I wear a yellow shirt it ALWAYS seems that I'll have mud explode on me or accidently rub primer/glue on my shirt. When I wear a different color strange things don't seem to happen as much. :p