1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Staining cleaning one year old deck.

Discussion in 'Power Washing' started by Holland, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Holland

Holland LawnSite Senior Member

Ok I got a deck built with treated yellowwood pine last July. I know I should of stained sealed it before now but haven't. It dosent look too bad just has a grayish look and looks like it NEEDS some uv stain/sealer. I have a pressure washer and have used Jomax cleaning homes etc. so what do you guys reccommend doing? Cleaning the wood etc. then what kinda sealer stain would you use? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. My deck gets full morning and early afternoon sun.

2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

3. TruSomethingOrOther

TruSomethingOrOther LawnSite Member

I recommend Cabots products. My father is a contractor / does it all person and I had the opportunity to be raised being taught the trades. I've used it before on a couple side jobs I had and it holds up for a long time.

4. Roof Cleaning Virginia

Roof Cleaning Virginia LawnSite Member

"3 step" the deck before staining:

Sodium percarbonate
    Light to moderate power rinse
    Neutralize/brighten with oxalic acid

Although Cabots looks great, it's a BEAR to strip when it's time to clean and reseal the deck, as you can't put Cabots on over Cabots. There are other contractor grades of stain/sealer that are easier to strip. Just something to consider.

5. Southern grass

Southern grass LawnSite Member

We always use to clean first with half bleach half water and pressure wash it off and do the 3 step sikkens stain its expensive but it's the best they make and pressure wash it at least once every year or so with a diluted bleach and it will knock the mildew wright off

6. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Ready seal is what I use
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. BrettT

BrettT LawnSite Member

As you stated, your deck has not been sealed or stained yet. Remove the greying/black color with a mix of SH, detergent and water. You most likely will not have to pressure wash. Since there is no sealer/stain, there is nothing to remove. Most of the stains/sealers you get at the big box stores are junk. The best stain for the money is Rymar. Make sure you have some pigment/color, clear will not last long at all.

8. Roof Cleaning Raleigh  NC

Roof Cleaning Raleigh NC LawnSite Member

Do what Ted said. Never use bleach on raw wood!

9. Holland

Holland LawnSite Senior Member

Brett. What do you mean by SH?
    Also thanks for all the comments!
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Roof Cleaning Raleigh  NC

Roof Cleaning Raleigh NC LawnSite Member

SH Sodium Hypochlorite...BLEACH!