1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

stainless vs soft metal v box spreaders

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by boba, Nov 20, 2000.

1. boba

boba LawnSite Member

I'm looking into buying an 8' spreader. Which should I purchase-stainless steel or soft metal? Will the ss really last that much longer?

Thank you for any input.

UNISCAPE LawnSite Member

3. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

The new steel ones are nice but the stainless one is best it all depends on your finaces. If you can fund for the stainless one get it.
  4. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Depends on how long you want to keep your spreader.

I keep mine about 5 to 6 years. After that I send the truck spreader and plow packen.

If you only plan on keeping the spreader 5 or 6 years then buy a steel one. If you plan on keeping it longer go for the stainless.

However even after 3 years the steel spreader starts to rust so if looks are important, the stainless is the only choice.

5. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

I think it comes down to some of questions .

1. are you going to keep it for a long time?
    2. Will you trade or sell offen and upgrade to a new model?
    3. What are your finces looking like a good SS will be upwards of $4,000 + to get started but will last for quite a while. If i was to want a good one i would go stainless and even electric with a smith less maintence and quiet operation ask Dino plowking35 he will tell you I think he has one.
  6. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

The smith stainless with electric drive is baout 3500.00 US, and works great. In fact I jist serviced it today. There has been some ?? as to how much juice it draws, well when the switch is thrown, the volt gauge drops from 14-12, but as soon as that initial drop recovers, the volt gauge goes right back to 14, with little if any visible drop in power output from the alternator. So they draw very little power from the truck.
  7. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

BTW, this is because it requires much more amps to start the motor, after it's started the amount of amps required decreases.

A plow pump motor draws many more amps because it is always starting for a few quick seconds. Thats why I wonder why they don't have a pump that always ran, like a belt driven pump with an electric motor. This setup would require a much smaller draw on the truck's electrical system.

8. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

That is correct Geoff,a system as you describe would work fine, and electric motors have a very long life, and are cheap to rebuild. Even a new one for my spreader is only like $200.00
  9. JCurtis

JCurtis LawnSite Senior Member

I would highly recommend the SS spreader if you can swing the intial cost.

Obviously, there are things that you can do with a regular steel spreader that will lengthen its life. Like put it up on 4X4 pressure treated boards so that there is drainage under it. You must also wash and lubricate it after every storm.

You can also use Magic Salt as it is less corrosive than straight rock salt.

Now if you buy the SS spreader and follow the above maintenance suggestions the ss spreader will last quite awhile.