???stainless???

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.lawnsite.com/buttons/jump.php?i' started by 1grnlwn, Oct 29, 2001.

1. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Somebody gave me a 3'x3' piece of 1/8" stainless. How would I go about finding what alloy it is so I can buy wire to weld it?

2. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm assuming there are no markings of any kind on the piece, such as "308 or "316" to indicate the grade.

Stainless is something I don't know a whole lot about, I do know that a couple of the grades stainless welding rod/wire is available in are 308 and 316, I believe 316 is the higher grade and is OK to use on both grades of material.

Tomorrow at work I'll ask some people who know more about it and try to get you some more useful info.

3. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks 75. I knew you would come through!

4. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

Well, here's what I was told: 308 and 316 are fairly common grades (at least in our experience) of stainless, if there isn't a grade marked on the piece we usually use 316 rod or wire: E316 for welding rod and ER316 for MIG wire. Also, for shielding gas on the MIG a 75% argon/25% Co2 mix (called "Argoshield" by our supplier, might be a different name where you are)

So sounds like 316 rod/wire is a safe bet. Hope this helps!