Stake Bed vs Dump Truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Fwilamosky, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Fwilamosky

Fwilamosky LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking to expand to a larger truck, it will be bought used probably 2005-2008, not sure which brand or if it will be a gasser or diesel.

I have been looking for a stake bed that dumps, but it has been nearly impossible to find one. I thought about just adding the hoist system to the stake bed for a few extra thousand, thought it would be a good negotiating tool.

I then began looking for a dump truck, but stake beds have so much more capacity with the longer beds.

Does anyone have experience with owning both of these?

Model will probably be f350/3500 or maybe f450, also been looking at Isuzu NPRs

2. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

Don't bother with a 1-ton. Just get a F-450/4500 or bigger.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Fwilamosky

Fwilamosky LawnSite Senior Member

Is there really that much of a difference in towing/hauling?

4. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Not common but great to have. Many years ago I had a summer job where they had a rack truck that had the rack body that could dump. It's extra length made holding debris and tilting the bed made unloading so nice.

5. BJWLAWNCARE

BJWLAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 1990 gmc 3500 stake body dump. It is 7x12. I have put a motor, tranny etc in it. It is awesome for what I use it for. I can load from any side 5-6 high of material. They are hard to find. Good luck.

6. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

Towing? No. Hauling? Yes. 1-Ton trucks have very little legal payload. Only around 2-3 tons AT MOST, not to mention you can get a 450/4500 around the same $$$.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Bronze Member

This is also the way I see it. Next purchase will be a cabover dump. Found a couple on CL that I would love to but I'll have to wait for the $$$ to roll in. Hauling 6 yards of wet mulch with a half ton with a dump bed and a single axle is no fun or legal.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. jmkr02

jmkr02 LawnSite Senior Member

The difference is capacity of what that sticker says you can carry. I would only go 450 or bigger. I question what a 1 ton truck is used for they cant carry much. Plowing they are good for good turning and a short body to watch where you are going. Maybe a 1 ton pickup with a dump insert.
    [sie=1]Posted via Mobile Device[/size]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  9. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

We bag a lot of grass so one ton is the perfect fit there. But we need to haul leaves and other items so we went with 4500s instead but if I do add a 3rd crew that truck would be a 3500.

10. f50lvr2

f50lvr2 LawnSite Senior Member

I had an NPR with a stake bed dump. Loved it except for the bone-crushing ride.
    I'd recommend a gas engine if you can find one, the diesel in those is a little underpowered if you want to tow and carry a payload.