1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stake sides?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ar_blazeman, Nov 5, 2006.

1. ar_blazeman

ar_blazeman LawnSite Member

Anyone know where a guy can purchase metal stakes to use in making sides for my trailer? I want to build some removable sides for my trailer because it pulls double duty as a Jeep hauler for me and I don't always need sides on it. I've considered using wood 2x4's but would rather do the sides in metal for durability.

Thanks in advance!

2. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Steel Yard. Get Remenant Steel as it is cheaper than brand new and will be just as effective. Good Luck. Might also try using expanded metal also and just weld it up. Leave corners unwelded and use bolts for ease of removing.
  3. ar_blazeman

ar_blazeman LawnSite Member

Thanks silcdoc I totally forgot thinking about buying remnants. Thanks for the reminder.

Are there any lightweight preformed stakes on the market, maybe something similar to the pic? All I've seen so far are for the cheapo trailers and none in the 16' - 18' range.

4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

If you have standard size stake pockets, you can use 1/4" X 1.5"X 3"Aluminum channels.