1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

staking arborviate?? what is your ideas.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by sildoc, Oct 30, 2004.

1. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

What have you found to be the best way of staking arborviate? I have 3 9' arborviate to plant for a customer but the area is a funnel area for wind. I need to stake these ones and am looking for your ideas that I may have not thought of. Thanks in advance.
  2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Sub-surface "cage" for the rootball out of 2X4's. Hard to explain but it is like an upside down U. Use two of them for each tree. We have used this method before on high end jobs to do away with unsightly above ground stakes.
  3. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Good idea :cool:
  4. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

What's going to happen with the new roots in the cage? Sounds counter productive to me, especially if the cage is not removed. If you remove the burlap or pot, gently wash the soil off the roots, redirect the roots to grow out and not in a circle and then use a "mudding in" technique with native soil and water for planting you may not have to stake at all. If you do have to stake just one is all you will need and then for a very short time. That method is explained on the ISA website "treesaregood.com", I believe.
  5. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

sildoc...I just checked treesaregood.com and they don't have the latest root washing technique on the site yet. They do, however, endorse the method and you will hear lots more about it in the future. I see they recommend two opposing stakes but, like I said, with the root washing method the planting is much more secure than slamming a b&b in the ground and expect it to stand while it develops roots...maybe I should say if it develops roots. The method takes more time but you can expect the plants to thrive, not just survive. I didn't mention when you wash the nursery soil or pot media off you can see the roots and prune off any girdling or circling roots or any damaged or adventitious roots that have grown on the stem above the crown flare. Of course you want to plant it so you can see the first real roots flaring out from the stem, often several inches below the level of soil in a b&b or pot when you buy it. Planting any deeper than the flare or first real roots will open the door for problems down the road and most likely lead to failure because of stress. Neal
  6. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the input. The stakes are not a problem. That is what the homeowner is actually expecting is for it to be staked. Good ideas though and will probably use those mentioned alot more. My problem is on the arbs is that there are no major trunk lines to really stake to. I really dont like the idea that the local nursery guy mentioned of just roping the entire arb. I feel that would cause too much damage. Keep the ideas coming. Thanks neil and avery for your input.
  7. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

The "cage" rots away. Like I said it is hard to explain how it looks/works. There is nothing there to hinder the roots. It is also much better for the tree than staking. I have been at this game a long time. I know what works and what does not.
  8. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

We have never had any problems staking arbs. You just need to be careful to take in more than one leader and from the opposite side than the stake. Almost like wrapping the whole thing, but more like the whole structure inside rather than structure and foliage. Washing the roots will weaken the anchor to the ground on the short term. I would definitely not do that. Arbs have a tighter denser root system than most conifers and hold their ball pretty well. That adds mass to the plant which is important in high winds.
  9. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

www.deeproot.com for arbor tie. We have converted completely to this product...it eliminates hose and wire and supports the individual trunks without damage. A simple superior cost effective system in my opinion.
  10. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Securing the root ball with a “cage” is an interesting idea. I’ve seen a number of tipped over trees that may of benefited from this, however on the other hand it seems that once you cage the root ball then you’re pretty well stuck with what you’ve got. If the tree begins to lean a bit, such as from the wind, then you may be right back at square one having to stake the tree.

In this area, arborvitaes have a major problem holding up to the weight of snow. They tend to lose their columnar shape and branches are bent outward. People aren’t thinking when they plant them. They commonly plant them right next to their homes where the snow slides off of their roofs. Not good.