1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Staking trees

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Lawnworks, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I just wanted your opinion on staking bnb trees(oaks, maples, etc). I have budgeted for staking 13 3" caliper pin oaks I installed the other day, but I am wondering if they really need it. We really took our time placing them in the ground straight, and it really paid off. I may need to stake one or two, but the others are perfect. What is your theories on staking?
  2. barefootlawnsandlandscape

barefootlawnsandlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I never stake anything over 2". Research has shown that staking the tree actually weakens it. As the base of the tree moves with the wind it actually creates more space in the trunk to produce wood, kind of like aerating a lawns. I think proper planting is the key. If you feel a tree needs staking because of its size or locations then by all means do it, but I try not to as much as possible.
  3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I think it depends on the weather conditions.

There are some area's up here that have a near constant wind blowing.
  4. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

It depends how tight the tree ball is it can't make roots swaying in the wind if the ball is loose. And if the ball is big enough some people put to small of a ball on them.
  5. Lawnworks

from usa

These had 36" rootball which I thought was a good size for these trees.

I bought some pin oaks that were 4" caliper for my yard from an "experimental" tree farm... they only had a 24" rootball. I am worried that was too small for that size tree. I would think they would need a 36"-48" rootball.
  6. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

that root ball planted correctly should keep it upright very well . sometimes when planting a tree of that caliper i will stake if the canopy is full an can disturbed by the wind! see ya George
  7. anthonyr

anthonyr LawnSite Member

what he said
  8. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Even if a tree is planted correctly it can still settle or move with wind. Some trees will not need it others will based on what happens to the soil and if any wind after you leave. Alot of bigger contracts call for all trees to be staked as part of the bid.

Lawnworks - If I can ask why do you need to stake one or two of them? What usually happens to us when we don't stake all of them is some of them start leaning due to whatever conditions ( wind, soil, sod being drowned because just installed after we put trees in). If for example this happens and half of them lean on you its not always easy on you or the tree to push it back and stake it straight anyway. Its a gamble! Good Luck on whatever you decide to do!
  9. Lawnworks

from usa

I think a couple of them have a slight natural lean. I will probably go stake all of them... just won't tie them to hard.
  10. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

If you do stake it then do not leave the stakes on more than a year.

Another way to stake it is to take some 2x2 wood stakes. Drive 2 or three into the root ball and through it into the ground. Drive them so they are flush with the top of the root ball. Eventually the stakes will rot away and on top of that you will not have a bunch of ugly fence post on all your trees because you can see them. Works very well.