Stalls when I engage the blades??????

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by s10crazy, Aug 29, 2006.

1. s10crazy

s10crazy LawnSite Member

Ok What I have is a 14.5 hp briggs ohv engine.
    It was missing occasionally so because it sat for a long time I replaced the plug and tore down the carb and cleaned it.
    Put the carb back on and it runs better but as soon as I engage the blades it dies. It dies immediately. One time I had it at a lower rpm and it ran with the blades on for about 30 secs. also had the air filter off once and it ran with the blades on for about 30 secs.
    Also dies if I put it in 6th or 7th gear and tried to drive in either gear.
    I would greatly appreciate any help. This thing cut grass just fine before I took the carb off. I tried all differant settings on the carb and nothing helps.
    Thanks,
    Jason

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

3. s10crazy

s10crazy LawnSite Member

the engine model number is 208707
    The mower it is on is a signature 2000

4. Restrorob

Check your linkage as stated first, If OK you should check the governor adjustment.

Loosen the screw holding the gov. arm on the shaft sticking out of the engine. With the arm loose move the throttle control and watch which direction the arm would move the shaft while going from idle to wide open position.
    From this point (wide open) grab the shaft and rotate it in the same direction until it stops and while holding a slight pressure on the shaft tighten the screw on the arm.

Oh....That engine number is not a good one, But I see it's a MTD unit now.

5. s10crazy

s10crazy LawnSite Member

it is number 287707 I'm going to check the governor. I checked the linkage and it works freely.

6. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

it sounds to me to be a main jet passage problem. If blowing the carb out does't help then buy a new carb.

7. Restrorob

That was my first thought also but then I seen this;

8. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

restrorob your right. i saw that too but I used to think I could rebuild all carbs - tear down, soak, spray and blow out. most simple carbs i find is true. i just had a carb off of a 27 kaw torn down and soaked 3 times and it still ran bad. I bought a new carb for 245$ and it ran like a champ. This isn't the only time I have done this. Maybe it's just me.