1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stamped 7 gauge JD deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, May 19, 2002.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

What do u guys think of the stamped 7 gauge JD deck ( I know I am so far behind, but bear w/ me) As far as I know it looks like the perfect deck....best of both worlds.
  2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I had one on a JD ZTR and did not like it. It seemed heavy and caused machine to roll from side to side on rough terrain. It scalped everything if ground was not dead flat. It would mow anything you could run over, but it just threw it out the chute without chopping up the clippings. Maybe doubles would help that problem. Cut looked average when it was not scalping. Blade spindle shafts are poor quality and deform at bottom if you hit a rock or some object sticking out of the ground. I was not impressed with the deck or the machine it was on and convinced dealer and JD to buy it back from me.:)
  3. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

I really like my 7-iron deck, it will cut anything, mine cuts great and level. Never had it to scalp any worse than any other deck, of course everything I cut is not "dead flat". Spindles are heavy-duty, I mow industrial sites, I hit stuff every-time I mow, never hurt a spindle, but have ruined several blades, there is nothing wrong with the spindles. This deck will out-cut a fabricated deck in bahia grass, it will not chop the clippings up as fine as an Exmark lazer, but in my conditions {mostly bahia} I'm well satisfied.
  4. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a 60" 7 Iron deck on my 757 ztr. I really like it. So far scalping isn't a problem and most of my lawns are not "dead flat". I haven't had any problems with the spindles on this deck or any JD that I have owned. I think stamped decks are better than fabricated since there are less welds, just my opinion though.
  5. Vibe Ray

Well I'm sure it doesn't mulch as well as exmark micro much but if the 7 iron were to use the micro mulch system it would probably be awesome.
  6. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i love my 7-iron deck doesn't scalp, I have the mulching kit and does not leave any trace of clippings
  7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Forgot to mention the ONE thing I really liked about the 7-iron deck. It never packed full of built up clippings. I don't remember ever having to scrape builtup clippings out from under the deck.:)
  8. Vibe Ray

I thought it probably would stay clean pretty good so you wouldn't have to scrape it.... Nothing really there for the grass to catch onto or least a lot less than a fabricated deck.