stamped deck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Josh18, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Josh18

Josh18 LawnSite Member
    from AL

I am looking to buy my first ztr and have been looking at the cub cadet m48. However, there are two models. One with 18 horse kohler and a stamped deck, and one with a 19 horse kawasaki. There is a $1000 difference between the two so I am leaning towards the 18 horse but I don't know what a stamped deck is. Can anyone explain the difference?
  2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

A stamped deck is just that. It is stamped in a big press out of one sheet of metal. A stamped deck cost less most of the time than a welded deck which is made by welding metal plates together to make the deck. Welded decks are thicker than stamped deck and will last longer and take more abuse. I have heard that stamped decks are easier to clean than welded decks.
  3. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an exmark 36 wb with a welded deck (cuts superbly), and a John Deere L110, a homeowner model, really, that cuts okay but the stamped deck just does not accumulate garbage the way the welded deck on the exmark does.

John Deere insists that the stamped decks on its ZTR mowers are as durable as any in the industry, so the durability advantage of a welded deck may or may not truly hold. If it's true that welded decks are more durable, then you have a trade-off.
  4. MP350

MP350 LawnSite Member

Of my 2 mowers one is stamped other is welded. I had both decks plated with metal when new, stamped has lasted 7 years put is now time to buy a new one, welded deck cuts better and has no sign of wear after 3 years. Cost me about a $100 bucks to have the welder plate the deck.
  5. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

What do you mean by "plated with metal"???
  6. MP350

MP350 LawnSite Member

I take the deck off the mower, take it to the welder and he basically builds a deck from the inside with new metal. Makes the deck twice as thick.
  7. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

A welded deck is far more durable and will take much more abuse than a stamped deck. Welded decks are usually fabricated from steel plate that is 2-3 times as thick as the steel used in stamped decks. Over the long haul the welded deck is superior to the stamped deck.
  8. maelawncare

maelawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have seen both of them. BELEAVE ME, GET THE OTHER ONE. DO NOT GET THE STAMPED DECK. You will regreat it in about 2 months.
  9. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

with stamped decks....

but I don't buy the hype of the 7 iron decks...

Put a Exmark, or a Hustler side by side with the John Deere....and you can see which ones are more heavily constructed.

Fabricated welded deck is stronger....major consideration for industrial mowing....or mowing in an unknown environment....

A stamped deck, if bent, is trash...period!

Just my opinion,

The john deere looks itself, when placed side by side with the others, the john deere deck stands out like a sore thumb...

screams Cheap! With steel tubing at the leading edge!

This is hard to say, since my family has used John Deere farm equipment for over 40 years....1500 acres....cotton, soybeans primarly.

I love John Deere tractors....was driving them alone when I was about 10 years old....

However, when it came to turf equipment, I felt they came up short....

I take ribbing from my family all the time about not running green...

I just smile, knowing they aren't mowin' for a livin'
  10. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually, it is a solid piece of 3/4" steel, it is not hollow.

You guys can argue all you want that deere's 7-guage stamped deck isn't as strong. Heck I don't care what machine you operate, to each his own. But it is plenty strong for most any application IMO. Just don't knock it until you try it :)

Cheaper to build? Well, they are the only company that can press a sheet of 7-guage steel which takes 4 millions pounds of pressure. I wouldn't consider that cheap.

There are getting to be quite a few users here at lawnsite that love their 7-irons. Havn't heard of deck failures yet, and hopefully we won't.