stamped steel decks on dixie

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jcjrfl, May 1, 2000.

1. jcjrfl

jcjrfl LawnSite Member
    from florida

I have seen mr.Elm's web site and his dixie does a tremendous job on striping lawns(the best i have seen except pro ball parks) my question is this, would a dixie lx 42&quot; ($6295) with stamped deck or the 2002 x 50&quot; ($6495) stamped deck do a comparable job to the much more expensive machines. The lx is priced at about the same as an Exmark hp 18hp kohler($5999) or 19 hp kaw with a 44&quot;($6395) deck Exmark 21 kaw x48&quot; deck is quoted at $6595 .<br>both machines have their merits. what is your opinion. Exmark seems to have a much better deck but dixie has an engine cooler, tubinaire filter and much better spindles. I mow 4 acres, but a lot of small areas on property. privacy fences, trees 2 large ponds only one area is approx. 100 feetx400 feet (open area)the rest is at most 20 feet wide. <br>

2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

If you are talking Florida grasses, don't expect the deep contrast striping seen on Eric's page. To an extent, yes it can be striped, but not like the northern stuff.

3. jcjrfl

jcjrfl LawnSite Member
    from florida

yes it is florida ste augustine grass mostly what would be your suggestion as far as the mower/deck combination. dixie's smaller footprint model is $6300 and the larger one is $6500 (about ten inches wider)

4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I would use both if possible, to see which fits your requirements. Try the Lazer too. At four acres, you are not going to be pushing the mower through it's paces day after day. If air filtration is a primary concern, you can get the Nelson filter system for the Kohler for around $150. I wouldn't worry too much about spindles on a machine that will not see that many hours. Contrary to popular belief, the Exmark spindles are not junk. Also, which dealer will provide the best service? This would be pretty important too.<p>

5. jcjrfl

jcjrfl LawnSite Member
    from florida

you are right about the machine not seeing that many hours. i guess it would be used an average of 5 hours a week at most.But i just want to make sure i purchase the right one I can't afford two mowers for now maybe next year. The bummer in all of this is that there is not a major price difference between them., it just makes the decision harder

6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

The stamped decks must be something new. I haven't seen them, but that doesn't mean they aren't being made. When it's dry and hot, the coolers, sure help the longevity of the machines and also the Donaldson Turbo Aircleaner will add life too. Does the DC you looked at have the Amsoil filter? That cleans the oil down to 1 micron in size which also helps make an engine last. Also the VTC oil is supposed to double the life of the hydros, according to their expectations. If you have any hills at all, the wider the frame and the wheel base, the more stable they are for traction while turning on the hills. Have the dealer bring out a demo of both sizes and see what is best for you. I would get the widest I could use.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

7. jcjrfl

jcjrfl LawnSite Member
    from florida

my mistake they are not stamped decks(i also looked at toro's, they have a stamped deck) they are almost as expensive as a basic dc.A zt100 17hp kaw/44&quot;deck $5899. as stated by eric elm I have not seen a better looking cut then the ones on his web site, maybe that is what is pushing me towards a dc.

8. jcjrfl

jcjrfl LawnSite Member
    from florida

sorry, no the smaller models do not have the amsoil pre filter nor do they have the cooler on the hydro system.but i do hope they have the new oil dc is talking about on their site &quot;VTC&quot; sounds like a winner to me

9. jcjrfl

jcjrfl LawnSite Member
    from florida

the only hill in central florida is called THE SUNSHINE SKYWAY it's a bridge. Oh I almost forgot the other hills we have in Florida &quot;fire ant hills&quot; all kidding apart there are no hills to contend with I would probably have to walk the property with a tape measure and see if a 50&quot; would clear lamp posts between privacy fences and trees that is the only reason i am looking at the narrower mowers.I read some of the older posts on dc's someone was saying that they were old technology, well i took a close look at one today long live old tech. they have engine coolers, hydro coolers Certain models) turbo filters to eliminate many particles before they hit the filter, and VTC. the mower may not change but what is underneath sure is up to date and then some.