Stamped versus fab deck

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by ZGuy, Jun 25, 2005.

1. ZGuy

ZGuy LawnSite Member

I am looking at ZTR with a stamped metal deck (Snapper ZT18H), but the dealer also showed me the Snapper Fastrack XL with a fab deck. From what I can tell the only downside to a stamped deck is the potential it might bend over time, is this true? The stamped deck is 10 or 12 ga so it is not too flimsy.

All thoughts are welcome.

Thank you.

2. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Nothing to really be worried about, its not like you're buying a Murray or MTD here. These decks are made to last regardless of build style.

3. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

The 12 guage stamped deck was that thickness before it was stamped i believe...so it's thinner now. Correct me if i'm wrong. I would go for the fabricated deck.

4. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

It would only be thinner at the bends, but still the fab/stamped argument is bunk unless applied to Murrays and MTD's. I mean its not like he's going to be bushhogging with it.

5. ZGuy

ZGuy LawnSite Member

Guys, thanks for the input. It sounds if the stamped deck is heavy gauge metal and from a decent manufacture then it probably does not matter as much for residentual use. If I am off base please advise.

6. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you're pretty much on the money with your last comment. If you were putting 20 hours a week on it, there may be reason for concern.

The nice thing about stamped decks is that they accumulate less garbage during those wet times of year. I have a JD homeowner model, the L110, and while it is nowhere near the mower that my eXmarks are, it also just does not accumulate clippings on the underside of the deck. The eXmarks are great mowers, but need regular cleaning during spring. Pick your hemlock, eh?