1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stamped vs. Fabricated Deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimQ, Mar 11, 2008.

Cut quality being equal, which deck would you prefer? Stamped or Fabricated

1. Fabricated Deck

2. Stamped Deck

3. Doesn't Matter

1. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

Cut quality being equal....

Would you prefer a conventionally fabricated deck like an Ultracut, XR7, Velocity Plus, etc... or a stamped 7ga steel deck like the 7-IronII?

Why would you prefer one over the other if cut quality were equal on both?

I think if cut quality were equal, I would have a slight preference towards a stamped deck. In my mind, it seems like a stamped deck of similar material thickness could be made stronger than a fabricated deck.

What do you think?

2. nickslawn

nickslawn LawnSite Member

fabarcated decks are just better. better material. I work for a metal stamping factory and we stamp mower decks 2-3 nights a week and you can't the good thick metal. It takes 6 stamping hits to make one deck and there just not high quality when you compare it to fabarcated decks.
  3. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

I've seen several fabricated decks with the front edge bent back and under or the shell bent from a blade spindle impact. Has anyone ever done that to a 7-Iron?

4. tyaroch

tyaroch LawnSite Member
    from MI

When builders spend a lot of money on big presses like JD does, the result is a stamped deck the same thickness as a fabbed deck. Metal with a break in it is just stronger. Take a piece of thin metal and put a break in it like duct work. It is much more rigid than a flat steel sheet. Same for the stamped decks. The big advantage I see is that the corners of the deck are rounded and do not catch as much grass build up. Jd just has a lot of money to spend because they are a huge company. Therefore they can afford a huge press and actually save money in the end due to less labor costs.
  5. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

I think this question can be answered by looking at what is out there. Most (I would guess 90%or more) of all commercial mowers have a fabricated deck. I think most manufactures try to achieve the best cut possible. With that being said, if a stamped deck gave a better cut you would see way more. It has to be cheaper to stamp a deck than to fabricate one. If the cut were better with a stamped deck they would be used by more manufactures.

With most fabricated decks you are able to build them much taller than stamped. With the taller height you are able to have more grass moved under the deck which is key to cutting in tall or wet grass.

just my .02
  6. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

actually, I would bet a dollar to a donut it costs more to stamp a deck than it does to fabricate one as the machine used to stamp the material would cost a fortune. jim, stamp a deck out of 5 gauge steel and weld on 3/8" on the front and trim side for further reinforcement and I bet you wouldn't have any strength concerns.
  7. tb8100

from TX

at least it would be costlier for thicker gauges like 7-5ga.
  8. tb8100

from TX

hows about a hybrid? Fabricate the shell from a single 5ga steel sheet like a Bad Boy Mower deck but make the blade tunnel stamped and tunneled to create lots of lift and have a large discharge opening like the Bad Boy Advanced deck and the Velocity Plus.
  9. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

It is obvious you are a deer lover and will never be convinced. #1 cut quality is not the same between the 2. If it were ex mark would have never sold more z in the last 10 years then deer
  10. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

If larger openings were the answer toro would have kept there old stamped decks hmmmmmmm. Think about it fellas exmark smaller opening and fabricated. number one seller since 97.