stamped vs welded deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by knuckshemi, Mar 24, 2004.

1. knuckshemi

knuckshemi LawnSite Member

What are the pros and cons of a stamped deck vs a welded deck. John Deere tells me that they are the only one with a Stamped 7 ga deck. I know everyone else it seems has a welded 7 ga deck.

:confused:

2. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

IMO, since I run a JD 757 with the "7-Iron" stamped deck, it is AWESOME. It has never left clumps of wet grass and after I mow in the dew, the deck is very clean with no grass stuck on it. However, I can't speak for a welded deck, but am very impressed with the stamped deck.

3. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

stamped decks are usually put on homeowner equipment, but john deere seems to put them on there commercial stuff. the only downside i could see would be strength, but i could be wrong. i have a gravely with a 7 ga. welded deck and its tough as nails. I guess it all comes down to production time, stamped decks can be produced alot faster than fabed and welded decks

4. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I have the JD 7 Iron deck and I like it alot. I've worked in the fabrication industry for several years and I can tell you a stamped deck costs more to produce initially than a fabed deck. If you hit something with a welded deck you put all the stress on the welds, with a stamped deck the stress of impact is placed on the unit as a whole. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either a stamped or fabbed deck though.

5. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

i really dont think you would see any performance issues between a stamped or welded 7 guage deck.. I believe its the depth of the decks that is going to increase performance...

6. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I really don't think it matters a whole lot. Many people will tell you that a welded deck is better because if it breaks (cracks), it can be fixed a lot cheaper. People will also tell you that stamped decks do not stripe well. I have found that to be untrue with my JD 60" 7-Iron deck. Heck, last fall I was going down a hill and didn't see this big cast iron pipe sticking out of the ground...smacked right into it and broke it in half. Deck didn't show any signs of damage. I'll try and get a picture of the pipe.

7. Zito

Zito LawnSite Member

If stamped is easier and faster to make, and welded is not better, then why do they make welded?

8. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Lawn-N-Garden Guy LawnSite Senior Member

Not saying to do it but smack something solid with a stamped deck and then do it with a welded deck and see which one bends ,The stamped will bend but the welded will bounce off.I have a 44" Toro stand-on with a stamped deck and have had to beat out some minor bends in the front of the deck and I also have a 48" ExMark ZTR with a welded deck and never had any dent or bends.

9. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been using a stamped/ die formed deck for years , never had a problem. Actually a fabricated deck is cheaper to make than a stamped one. They gotta buy a die ( $50,000 to $100,000)and a large press ( up $1,000,000) to build a stamped deck. A welded deck can be built in your garage.

10. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

It seems to me that which ever deck is heavier gauge which stand up better to a blow, whether stamped or welded, but I don't have a degree in physics so it's just my opinion.