Stamps???

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by CelticGreens, Feb 22, 2005.

1. CelticGreens

CelticGreens LawnSite Member

when you send out bills, do you deliver by mail with stamps, or deliver to houses yourself. i can see it being easier to just mail them out, but if you're mailing out a 100 everymonth, thats alot of un-needed spending. rather put it towards gas... whats your guys opinions.

2. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

I used to drop them off during the week as I went, but:

1. they are sometimes forgotten, ruining effiency factor.
    2. they can get dirty easily and look less professional.
    3. it looks a little more professional delivered with postage I think.
    4. you can get your bills to end of week clients faster by mailing monday
    5. even if you mail 100 it's only $37/ month, tax deductible. Will take a lot more time than that's worth to run around and deliver bills.

So now I just mail them.
    Good ?.

3. MacPhersonlawn

MacPhersonlawn LawnSite Member

I try to drop off as many as possible on the last mowing day of the month. Sometimes that is more trouble than it's worth. I usually drop off about half and mail about half. It really dosn't cost that much and as was just mentioned it is tax deductable.

4. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

I bill once a month. If i can't email them, I send them regular mail. Almost everyone has email.

5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Mail them. Besides the fact that my truck would use more gas then what the stamps cost, my time is worth more. Stick them in the mail, be done with it!

6. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I would never consider trying to deliver. We do send out over 100 a month and there is no way it would be cheaper to deliver them. I also believe you step down a notch on the professional scale if you hand them to the customer.

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

When I started, I felt that leaving the invoice on the last visit of the month made sense. However, too many claimed they never got their invoice -- where they went, I don't know. Putting them in USPS quickly solved the "missing invoice" problem.

8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Its a pain I think just getting all the billing ready for the end of the month, getting them printed, stuffed in envelopes...last thing I would want to have to do is worry about having to drop them off at the each account next time we serviced them.. Just easier to put them in the mail.

9. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I can't agree more. You mail them, the mailman puts it in the mailbox where the customer looks for mail. Deliver them, you gotta find places to leave the bill. They get lost, people claim they don't get them. 99% of the time the mailman is going to get the bill there safely and on time. $37 a month isn't that much to spend on postage.

10. Green lawns

Green lawns LawnSite Member

We just stick them in the mail at the beginning of each month. Let the post man do the walking.