1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stand Mowers ....Thinking about one....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TriCountyLawn, May 21, 2006.

1. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Who useing stand on mowers? Im looking at getting something with a 52in deck. So far ive seen John Deeres , Everides and Wright's. The Wrights and Everide decks looks like the Decks on my Hustlers.

Is 23 hp enough motor to handle a rider and mowing grass?>
  2. absolutelawnman

absolutelawnman LawnSite Member

I do not know personally about the stander mowers, however I was talking to another company owner and he said he likes the mower itself but the brand was bad. He said that he has gone through countless bearings, 3 decks, motor, and other things. The mower itself has only 1.5 seasons on it. The brand wright.

He could have been abusing it or got a bad mower but I think I would steer towards another brand
  3. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Ugh... The topic should have read "Stander".

Yeah i guees thats where im at. The concept looks good but I just dont think the mfg's have a product hvy duty enough imo. They seem to be lacking in the HP area. Well see what others have to say.
  4. SidelinePropMgr

SidelinePropMgr LawnSite Member

Have been using Wright Standers for 3 years. Awesome machines. Have had no problems other than a broken starter. Easy to manuever, less space tken up on trailer. My 52" has a 19HP Kawasaki and its cuts anything. Only bogged down in wet grass that was 3 foot tall. Other than that, almost impossible to bog down. Am looking to add another 53" to my fleet this summer

I would recommed an Wright Stander to anyone. Takes about 2 minutes to change the height. Not as many adjustments as floating decks however, mow all of my accounts within 1 inch in height. This amount of adjustment can be made blindfolded.
  5. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

We do not use them personally. However, a buddy of mine his company uses them and they swear by them. We will probably start going with a couple in the future.
  6. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

The Wright Stander's are great mowers, very well built, light weight, compact size, and they give a great cut. Also a 23hp engine is more than enough power.
  7. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Wright Stander all the way. A much better machine.
  8. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

I have seen alot of them and wish i could ditch my w/b for one. Everyone here runs them!
  9. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

I hear nothing but good things about them. When I get ready for new equipment I will be buying the Wright Standers.
  10. bwilder10h

bwilder10h LawnSite Member

How do the standers do on real steep hills?

I've got a couple residential accounts with ridiculous hills. I'm sometimes amazed the gear w/b holds them and climbs the way they do.

The 52/23 stander would be perfect for most of my jobs, but I worry about the hills.