Stand on mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DownSouth, Jun 29, 2005.

1. DownSouth

DownSouth LawnSite Member

what companys offer a stand on zero turn mowers besides wright and JD, im looking to buy one but cant find any besides these 2 companies and i was wondering if anyone else makes these?

2. GreenGrassEarnsCash

GreenGrassEarnsCash LawnSite Member

great dane. do a google search.

3. DownSouth

i googled it and didnt find anything besides great dane, JD, and wright..i was just wondering if there are any more out there

4. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Nobody besides Great Dane, Wright, and John Deere's make em'.. I had a GD Super Surfer last year and for the most part really liked it.
    I don't think I'd ever own a sit down machine unless I was cutting 50 acres a day or something like that..
    I'm that sold on the Stand-up concept. If I ever need another mower bigger than 21".. It'll probly be a Wright 32" Stander.

5. DownSouth

yeah i rode my friends wright and was hooked on standers

6. GLC51

GLC51 LawnSite Member

I traded my Toro 20hp hydro 44" with a toro tru track sulky on it in and bought a 32" Wright Stander last week. Still getting used to the way the Stander handles but time wise it is faster than the Toro and a better cut IMO. Like most who have bought one I agree it soooooo cool. Will post a details later, Also have made a stripping rig for it with chain works pretty good, still some tinkering to do on it will post pics soon.

7. Pumper

Pumper LawnSite Member

Downsouth,

Bill Wright came up with the concept and built the first stand on machine. Great Dane copied it with the Surfer. They lost a patent infringement law suit and ended up selling out to John Deere. This is how John Deere ended up with a stand on unit. To my knowledge, these are the only three commercial units. There is a home owner style called Lonmore that showed at Louisville at the Lawn & Garden Expo but I haven't even seen it in a few years.

8. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

There maybe three companies that make them. But there is only one that you need to look at. Wright is the only way to go. I have three and love them. I sold my wide area walkbehinds and ZTR. Because the stander is faster than the walk behinds and almost can keep up with a ZTR. Its the only machine that can go from postage stamp lawns to 3 acres and still be productive.