Stand on mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by D&F lawnmaster, Oct 9, 2012.

1. D&F lawnmaster

D&F lawnmaster LawnSite Member

I am going to buy a new stand on or a walk behind. I have a walk behind but need another one. I want to see if any of you guys have a stand on if so, how do you like it over a walk behind.
  2. xstatikplus

xstatikplus LawnSite Senior Member

I have worked with walk behind mowers (3 ferris 32" hydrocut currently) for 18 years. Just bought a used wright stander 52" a few weeks ago for myself and hands down it's way better but a walk behind can get in just about anywhere tight gates, over stairs.....a solid walk behind is still essential for most residental areas in my experience.
  3. 123hotdog

123hotdog LawnSite Senior Member

I currently use both and have for three years. If I already had a walk behind, I would definitely buy a stander. I'm in upper east Tennessee and its not too flat here. I use a 36" walk behind for all the tricky stuff and fence gates. My stander does pretty good on hills ( not as good as a walk- behind ) . My stander is a 61" and allows my to bid large lawns on hills that pay really well. If my stander was diesel, I would not have four mowers in my fleet.
  4. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

I have been finding Standers to be extremely productive. Much more than a walkbehind and even a ZTR up to a 1/2 acre or so. After a 1/2 acre a ZTR is more productive.

Here is a link to my Stander review.
  5. shadetreelawns

shadetreelawns LawnSite Member

I demoed the exmark stand on and didn't like it. I really wanted too. I liked how it fit on my trailer, but the controls I did not. Also it was not as quick as I expected. They say it makes up time in the tight areas but I guess I didn't run it long enough to see. Just was not a good fit for me. Just my 2 cents.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil LawnSite Bronze Member

I love standers, that's about all I've used the past 4-5 years now! Put in thousands of hours on them as well. The can easily run circles around walk behinds when learn to operate them.
  7. Cummins343

Cummins343 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Kansas

Go right with Wright :)
  8. kawakx125

kawakx125 LawnSite Bronze Member

can't go wrong with a wright! i love mine
  9. tebletlawns

tebletlawns LawnSite Member
    from KCMO

I've spent many hours running a stander for a friend. Both wright and exmark. Both have their pros and cons. I like them both. If your doing stuff you want to get it done fast a stander is the way to go. I have 3 walk behinds and a large ztr. All Scag! A stander, any brand, can't take the hills or stripe like a walk behind. Put a pro slide on the w/b and you'll never look back.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

Standers don't have enough weight in front and can't hold hills well. I like walk behinds because they're capable to handle areas other mowers wouldnt dream to tackle.
    Posted via Mobile Device