Stand on mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by BLC1, Mar 7, 2013.

1. BLC1

BLC1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

How many of you guys have made the switch to the standers. I have been debating the past couple years but haven't been able to pull the trigger just yet.

It seems to me that they are a little bit more efficient. You can put more on a trailer or use less trailer. Jumping on and off is easier. Customers may be happy to see something that's not a "huge machine" running all over their yards.

I know it probably depends on how your set up and what size accounts you are working on but are these machines able to replace the rider and walk behind or no?

Any help would be appreciated. Looking for all the pros and cons from guys who have switched over or at least thought it through and tried them out.

2. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

All those points you make are correct. One other nice thing at least on the Wrights is the visibility of the deck is great for getting closer to obstacles/not hitting or running over things that shouldnt go through the mower.

I cant give you much in the way of info about switching over. We are a dealer and sell the Wright machines. I have mowed our property with a Wright demo. I can do the same property in 45-50 minutes with a 52" stander as I have done with a Bobcat or Ferris 61" rider in that same amount of time. The stander is just faster at getting around all the obstacles.

Around Chicagoland just about everyone has at least one stander if not all standers with maybe an old walkbehind.

3. jones68

jones68 LawnSite Senior Member

subscribe.... I am interested in one also but I am worried about hills. I have never used one but I think they would speed me up a bit. I am in the mountains with a lot of hills

4. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

We run stander/wb mix. I switched over my last DC to another Wright. It just fits our needs better. We don't have anything over half an acre and 90% gated backyards. I'm looking at Ferris evo's for an ergonomic improvement.

Jones68- I would demo one for a while. Hills have a steep learning curve with standers. Large props tend to wear you out a bit too on standers.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. BLC1

from Ohio

My concerns were hills, larger properties and bagging.

6. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Bagging is going to be a side bagger like a walkbehind. Wright has a mount built into the deck already which works with their own grass gobblers and rackem bags and maybe others. There really is no large collection system option...well there are but I havent seen one that I was interested in trying to use.

Hills I cannot comment on very much. I dont have alot of hills to try them on. I know they are supposed to be very good, but just dont have personal experience. Actually I did try one at a demo day for the Toro Grandstand when it was introduced. They had a Toro, Wright and Great Dane all out there. I felt best on the Wright. I am big, so the Toro wanted to wheelie going up the hill. They basically had us doing a slalom on a hill side with them. The Wright just went wherever I wanted it to.

For large properties with no obstacles a ZTR is going to be nicer. You can sit and just go. If you have debris to pickup or a big area with tons of intricate obstacles the stander could be faster/better.

7. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Every other stander I ever tried I feel like I'm too high and too far back to be stable. Wright is the only one that got operator placement right.IMO
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. greenology

greenology LawnSite Senior Member

Subscribe... Considering buying a Stander for residential lawns over here in aus. The ferris evo looks very nifty. Anyone have any video of cutting a residential lawn with any of these machines, would love to see them going through a narrow gate into backyard. I figure stairs would be out of the question, has anyone managed to create a quick ramp system for stairs? Cheers

9. grassmauler

grassmauler LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I bought a stand on a couple years ago with a fixed deck. I did a demo of the new Gravely Pro Stance last fall and switched. I liked their dual deck lift with the hand or foot levers and the flip up platform gives me my walk-behind unit. I have a few hills and felt comfortable as there is a foot stabilizer bar on the fender for balance. I recommend giving it a try. There are several threads started on this unit that are pretty informative.

10. BLC1

from Ohio

The standers also strike me and be easier to maintain than the a rider.