Stand on or traditional seated ZTR?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Keene Landscaping, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Keene Landscaping

Keene Landscaping LawnSite Member

I have worked in the landscape/mowing trade for aroung 5-6 years and am planning on starting my own venture this spring. However, I cannot decide if I want stand on or sit down mower. I will only be marketing to residential this year but commercial properties are in the future. I was just wondering the advanages and disadvantages between sitting and standing. I have hundreds of hours on Hustler, Exmark, and Dixie Chopper and am curious why people go with stand-ons and the benefits that come with a stand-on vrs sit down.

2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Toro Gramdstand and I like it. I do a lot of slopes that I simply would ride on. Also you can pick up a stick eaiser.

3. Keene Landscaping

Okay, so with that being said if you only had one main mower for residential properties would you rather have a stand on or seated?

4. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Personally Id rather have a Stand On. However most fellers ride.

5. Jaybrown

Jaybrown LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a wright stander because I have big steep hills. My sit down can't even do any of these hills it would slide or roll 100%. Nothing beats a stand on for hills. Easy to get off and on. The only reason I have a sit down is because It does long straight lines a bit better and it's 12 mph while my stander is 8 mph The wright ZK is 13.5 mph tho. It's a beast

6. Jaybrown

Jaybrown LawnSite Bronze Member

Stand ins are easy to get off and on for obstacles like branches , dog toys etc

7. Porcupine Lawn and Snow

Porcupine Lawn and Snow LawnSite Senior Member

Stand on for residential properties. You could even look at the Ferris Evolution or the Wright Sport if you want a stand on/sit-down hybrid.

8. Keene Landscaping

Not familiar with the Wright Sport. Checked them out and it looks like a good idea, do you own one? if so how do you like it?

9. BossPlowMaster

BossPlowMaster LawnSite Member

Have you thought about walk behinds? I think thats what I am after now.

10. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a Turf Tiger and V-Ride and I prefer the V-Ride for the reasons listed above. If the property is 2+ acres open cutting, I prefer the TT for a slight speed advantage and straighter lines.

Be aware that standers can take a toll on your knees just as ZTRs can take a toll on your back.