1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stand on or traditional seated ZTR?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Keene Landscaping, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Porcupine Lawn and Snow

Porcupine Lawn and Snow LawnSite Senior Member

No, I do not own one but I am about to purchase a Ferris Evolution. The Wright costs significantly more than the Ferris but Wright is the true leader in Stand-On mowers.

P.S. The Wright Sport used to be called the Wright Sentar.
  2. Keene Landscaping

Keene Landscaping LawnSite Member

My local Wright dealership is a few hours north so I may skip that, however I will demo a Ferris Evolution and probably a Scag V-Ride and pick out of the two. I do like the fact the Ferris is 2mph quicker then the Scag, but it will come down to the demoing of the two.
  3. vallz

vallz LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Stand-on mowers IMO are better then a sit down mower. Stand on mowers are more compact which means more room on the trailer, they can handle almost any hill, and easy off and on (and if your doing a lot of residential you'll be getting off and on a lot). I have a wright standard and they are the best stand on. Pricier then the others but you pay for the best and thats what you get.
  4. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

That Evolution looks very nice. Front suspension and a nice suspension platform for standing or sitting. It seems like the best of both worlds. I'm guessing you will be leaving with the Ferris:)
  5. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic

I own a 36 and 52 evolution.

If it was one mower and one mower only…it would be an evo or a wright sport.

Wright sport like previously mentioned was called the sentar (spanish to sit)
    I demo'd the prototypes back in the day.

The seat used to be smaller and more bicycle like.
    the current seat on it is my doing.
    It got nicked named the "fat boy seat"
    because I told them the only dudes that would ride on that seat all day were skinny little mexicans…
    the original seat was like from a huffy or a diamond back!

the seat as a result is much better.

The wright version flips out of the way allowing you to stand on at will.
    The ferris no such luck…if you stand up the mower turns off because operator presence safety is in the seat (bad feature IMO)

The wright is superior in this way.

But for the price of ferris? Ill put up with it.
  6. GravelyWalker

GravelyWalker LawnSite Member

Anyone have a go at the John Deere QuikTrak? JD is the closest dealer to me and have always liked their equipment. Plus i can get a full warrenty on a used machine for like 2k off of new.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. hillbilly1188

hillbilly1188 LawnSite Member

i just bought a new scag vride 61"and runs 11mph... but smaller decks only go 8.5mph... had it some steep places and here to tell ya you can get off alot easer if you get in to trouble compared to normal ztr's. mine slide out and i steped of and got it to stop but i shouldnt have tried it to start with.... the guy said he had trouble with his huskie lawn tractor there... but oh well.. but i love the v-ride
  8. Keene Landscaping

Keene Landscaping LawnSite Member

You said that you cannot stand up on the ferris w/out the mower shutting off due to the seat sensor? I will probably just end up wiring it to void the seat sensor, that is what we did with my previous employers sit downs. Have you considered doing that?
  9. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i prefer a sit down ztr but I have yards up to 4 acres in size. I do the smaller yards with it too and steep hills with no problems. I guess if you had all small yards a stander would be a good option to go with.
  10. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic

there is a plug you can disconnect…its somewhere to the right around your knee somewhere.

I just don't like disabling things… Ill get carried away!:laugh:

I had a 36" scag that if I let go of it…it would mow from new york to ohio and keep going until it ran out of gas… dang thing was dangerous in anyones hands but mine.
    I ended up giving it to my brother in law a few years back, but I trained him well…DO NOT let go of it!:rolleyes: