"Stand On", "Stand On Flip Up" or "Walk Behind"?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Andrew & Ben's Lawn Care, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Andrew & Ben's Lawn Care

Andrew & Ben's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

New accounts this year and lots of slopes. Need to buy a 36 and a 52 walk behind or stander mower to supplement the ztr's. Here is the question, which of the 3 will handle the steepest slope? Something like the Grandstand / Exmark; where the platform folds up so I can walk behind it, or a Wright / Greatdane with a fixed platform, or no stander at all, and just a good old walkbehind. It's too expensive to buy all 3 and test them. I have walkbehinds, but would like an excuse to by a stander. Only looking for performance answers, money is no issue, this is my year to upgrade. Thanks for any help.

2. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

Wright fixed deck hands down. I had less than 40% tred on my tires on my weights and I took them on hills I can barely get up with my 4wd x585 with hdap tires. They are 3/4 goat. It's crazy.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

Flipping up the platform on the grandstand and walking behind it is useless. I love my gs but that is very deceptive marketing on Toro's part. If you have really steep slopes to mow you should demo a stand on unit before laying down that much coin.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldnt buy one unless it done this. The new V Ride next year is suppose to be that way. I want to be able to get off in really wet ground and walk behind it. Now its up to a 48 or a 52. Kinda leaning towards the 48.

5. Andrew & Ben's Lawn Care

Andrew & Ben's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

LawnKing; can you expand on deceptive marketing and the flip up being a pain?

6. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

i've never used any stander other than my toro grandstand on slopes and it does just great.

i also use to use a 52" tthp with stand on, on slopes and it did just fine as well.

flipping up the platform on the grandstand is useless in any situation in my opinion. the controlls don't move with it so they are higher up when you are off the platform.

7. integratedlc

integratedlc LawnSite Member

Unless you are over six feet tall the controls on the grandstand are like ape hangers.

8. LawnMan19

LawnMan19 LawnSite Gold Member

Wright stander hands down .

9. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

x3 We have had many brands over the years. Each mower has its strong points. As far as stand on mowers the wright is hands down the best. If you are going to get a 36 wb too I would definitely get a wright. The 36 will go places that the stander wont but there are very few places where we need a wb instead of a stander. wb's have their place but wright standers close that gap considerably. Once you get used to the machine and trust it...you can go near anywhere with it. Good luck with your purchase.

10. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

i'm a couple inches over 6 foot, but even then, with the mower in walkbehind mode they are high.