1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stand-on sulky ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JT764, Mar 4, 2005.

1. JT764

JT764 LawnSite Member
    from 13152

Was looking into buying a stand-on sulky for my 52'' commercial
    walk behind mower.What would you think would be better from your
    experiances a single wheel model or the two wheel model ? Advantages and disadvantages ?
    Never used either of these so any input would be great.Thanks
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have only used two wheel and I love Velke
  3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Well we use a single wheel (Velke) and it leaves rutts in the lawn when its wet. We just bought a 52" Exmark Turf Tracer and I'm trying to find a Pro Slide for it (no ruts w/pro slide). As far as a 2 wheeled sulky, never used one but I would think they would leave 2 ruts vs 1.
  4. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

A single wheel will leave a rut down the middle. I would use a a two-wheel or a proslide. Preferably the latter!
  5. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Going off of what our dealer told us when we first bought our WB...

The dual wheel is safer, distributes your weight better, backing up with it can be difficult. Single wheel is not as sturdy, all your weight is now centered on one point, backs up easier.

B/C of this we opted for a dual wheel jungle jim. We attached them to our 17HP 48" hydro Scags. We like them a lot. Dealer was definitely correct about backing up...it does take some getting used to. It tends to jacknife when backing up and turning at the same time. To this day we never had any issues with rutting. Although, when ground is wet we take the time to actually walk behind the walk behind just to be on the safe side.
  6. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

just get a 2 wheeled CASTOR sulky, a la cub cadet, or bull rider, or havener enterprises and you can back up at freekin 5 MPH or go this way, or that way at any freekin speed ( oh and it fun too)!!!! You dont have to get used to anything cuz it is the bomb.
  7. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I prefer the 2 wheel because they don't leave a line down the middle, don't sink in as much, and I couldn't find a one wheeled one that I could put size 12 steel toe work boots on comfortably.

I have the Bullrider and like it. You can switch from trailer to caster mode quickly and it has a large foot platform.
  8. scarr133

scarr133 LawnSite Senior Member

I will post for sale on Friday at 2 wheel sulky brand new, never used for $200 obo. I will also have for sale a 1 wheel sulky used very little for $150. If interested, email me at scarr133@hotmail.com
  9. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

what does anyone know about the proslide???
  10. GotToGoMow

GotToGoMow LawnSite Member